Is My Cat Possibly In Early Labor?

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a month ago I took in an abandoned pregnant cat. Roughly 13 days ago I noticed the babies moving around and could see them kicking. Then 4 days ago she began having a slight clear/white discharge but it has stopped. Her teats have started leaking colostrum(?) this morning but she doesn't appear to have any other labor signs. Is this just regular cat pregnancy symptoms or is she possibly in the first stage of labor? If so how long will it last? Oh and don't worry, she already has a future appointment set up to be spayed as I will be keeping her. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds very close! It could be any day now. You will recognize first-stage labor when you see ripples in her sides. Those are contractions and she will be uncomfortable. This can last about 24 hours before she begins pushing.

Have you made nests for her?

So kind of you to take her in and keep her. I did the same with a pregnant stray, AND kept all 4 of her kittens. They are 3 years old now!

Keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she may be having contractions, it just started. She crawled into my lap and I noticed what looked like muscle spasms going down her back.
She has claimed my whole bathroom as her nesting grounds she has a few boxes to choose from but she prefers to be on my bath rug. So that's probably where she'll have them.
She sounds very close! It could be any day now. You will recognize first-stage labor when you see ripples in her sides. Those are contractions and she will be uncomfortable. This can last about 24 hours before she begins pushing.

Have you made nests for her?

So kind of you to take her in and keep her. I did the same with a pregnant stray, AND kept all 4 of her kittens. They are 3 years old now!

Keep us posted! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like labor to me too. Let us know how she’s doing.

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: No babies yet. But I took Arwen's temp this morning and it's dropped from her average of 100.3° to 97° so from what I've been reading she should start anytime now. I am getting impatient. :D

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well still no babies today, but I think we're getting close! Poor momma can't sit still, she keeps pacing and following me everywhere, even to the toilet :D Poor thing is so big she can't even clean her rear so I've been helping her. She finally settled down in one of the various nests I made her so I'm hoping I'll get to see some babies tonight!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in early labor and wants you near.

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Arwen had her first baby about 3 hours ago :) she's had 4 more since. I'm very proud of her, she's doing great. The kittens are doing well also, I suspect there might be 2 more in her but she's taking a well deserved break. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my - 5 babies! Congratulations!

Are they all latching and nursing well?

If you have kitten formula, please mix up a dish of it for mom. She needs the calcium.

Krys9415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They all latched and nursed perfectly. I don't have any kitten formula, but I have been giving her kitten food. I'll pick up some formula tomorrow though! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR by PetAg is recommended - powdered not pre-mixed.

Glad to hear all are nursing well!