Is my cat part bengal???

briannakosma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. I adopted Kipling 2 years ago. He has some marbling, spotted tummy, glittery fur and he is very long! He loves to run and is extremely vocal. Some of his characteristics make me feel he could be part bengal. What do you think? Is he just a tabby?

Thank you!!!:blush:

Attachments

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Classic tabby like your kitty is the oldest tabby pattern in existence, it's been around thousand of years before Bengals were ever created and it was bred into them. The spotted belly is a tabby trait and everything else sounds pretty normal for a cat of any background. I don't see any Bengal traits, just a pretty kitty.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is beautiful! i agree with the above, classic tabby. Usually the 'spots' turn into stripes as they age, but your kitty kept them, somewhat unusual. Bengals have 'eyes' in their spots, they are usually a darker center surrounded by a circle of dark fur, or 'rosettes'. More like a rose opening.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Classic tabby like your kitty is the oldest tabby pattern in existence, it's been around thousand of years before Bengals were ever created and it was bred into them. The spotted belly is a tabby trait and everything else sounds pretty normal for a cat of any background. I don't see any Bengal traits, just a pretty kitty.
I agree with you. Aside of this classic tabby is the oldest tabby pattern. It is NOT! But the fairly recent mutation happened in England; or at least become the common in England. And the first organized Cat Fancy Associations were in England / GB. That is why they were labelled classic tabby instead of tabby noveau... :)
Striped are oldest. Spotted prob old too. Ticked? I dont know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannakosma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!! I feek like everybody feels like they have a bengal! :lol: I didn't think he was until my pet sitter said he was half. I appreciate your response!

briannakosma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with you. Aside of this classic tabby is the oldest tabby pattern. It is NOT! But the fairly recent mutation happened in England; or at least become the common in England. And the first organized Cat Fancy Associations were in England / GB. That is why they were labelled classic tabby instead of tabby noveau... :)
Striped are oldest. Spotted prob old too. Ticked? I dont know.
Thank you!! I appreciate the history as well! :D

briannakosma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is beautiful! i agree with the above, classic tabby. Usually the 'spots' turn into stripes as they age, but your kitty kept them, somewhat unusual. Bengals have 'eyes' in their spots, they are usually a darker center surrounded by a circle of dark fur, or 'rosettes'. More like a rose opening.
Thank you for your response!! :blush:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The classic tabby pattern is gorgeous, and occurs in many breeds and non-pedigreed cats. It doesn't occur in the same form in Bengals. The CFA breed standard describes it as a Marble Tabby Pattern. "The Marble pattern is a modified classic tabby pattern with horizontal, diagonal, or random pattern flow, as opposed to a circular pattern flow; there should be no resemblance to the classic tabby pattern seen in other breeds." Your boy's pattern is definitely circular, so doesn't fit the pattern of a Bengal.