Is my cat in labour.

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone I’m really embarrassed to say as of about a month ago we thought our teddy bear was a boy. He started to get bigger but then we noticed (tmi) signs of mating around genetalia. This sparked curiosity and a. Thousand searches later we suspected teddy bear was a girl. It’s been a few weeks and teddy is still getting bigger. Today teddy has been spotting tiny diluted blood. Also I’m sure according to Google and YouTube I witnessed a mucus plug. Now teddy bear is resting non stop but I worry as when we woke up we noticed teddy’s tail and bottom being quite clumped together as if it had been wet and not cleaned. Teddy is constantly grooming the vaginal area but not back legs bottom fluff or tail. Is this something I should be worried about or is this the process of labour. Please help I’ve been losing my mind with confusion for weeks. First time cat mum 🥰

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like Teddy may be in labor. How is she doing now? You may clean the areas she cannot reach with a warm damp cloth if she’ll let you. First stage labor can last 24 hours, followed by pushing. If she pushes for an hour without success, and/or appears in distress, please get her to a vet ASAP.

Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ThNk you for your reply. I ran out to get her a ball pit minus the balls haha I’ve lined it with blankets and puppy pads. She dived right in and hasn’t moved bless her. She isn’t crying or looking distressed but she does keep giving me sad eyes. She’s not letting me near her to clean only to pet xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a vet you can call if need be?

Are you seeing movement in her sides like waves or ripples? If so, those are contractions.

Please put her food and water nearby. Give kitten formula (powdered not pre-mixed) to her also. She needs the calcium for strong contractions and for nursing. PetAg and Royal Canin are excellent brands.

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I’ve already spoken to the vet and confirmed when I should worry and what actions to take. She has kitten food too xx no movement in her sides just pretty quick breathing but not panting xx

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Guys I’m sorry it’s been a few more hours and no signs of labour. I’m worried her waters broke earlier hence the wet legs and tail. She won’t let me near her to clean her. Could it have been her waters? What else could it be? This was at 7am we noticed her fur clogged together so could have been through the night. She is getting less affectionate she’s now just laying under her cat post.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Guys I’m sorry it’s been a few more hours and no signs of labour. I’m worried her waters broke earlier hence the wet legs and tail. She won’t let me near her to clean her. Could it have been her waters? What else could it be? This was at 7am we noticed her fur clogged together so could have been through the night. She is getting less affectionate she’s now just laying under her cat post.
Water going early, nor mucus plug leaving, doenst need by itself to be alarming... We had forumist with early water going, but the delivery went well.

But what you write in your last line sound alarming...
High time to contact your vet again, and even I would say, rush her in...
Cesarean is often dangerous by itself, but if you are sure the kittens are full term, the cesarean is not as dangerous as with possibly premature kittens.
While waiting too long, in a situation when there is perhaps a breach position, may be devastating...

During the time you wait for connection to the vet; give her aplenty of calcium; whatever you have at home and whatever you can get into her... Because too little calcium may cause weak labor... The earlier mentioned kmr or goats milk should do.

Be sure she has water / fluids...

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. A best case scenario is she had the precontrations, a way of mother nature to train up the muscles. (humans may have them too). These happen usually 2-4 days before delivery.

HAS she dropped? Ie suddenly is less obviously big? Its a sure sign for nearing delivery, although not all do this.

IF yes to the first, and no to the second, its not the same hurry...

But DO contact your vet, and let the vet ask you follow up questions.

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She does look smaller yes. There are no signs of distress, no signs of heavy breathing. She’s eating and drinking and sleeping plenty. Still not a single sign. I wouldn’t be worried if she hadn’t woken up soaking wet yesterday morning. Also I am very sure I saw the mucus plug it was a pinkish brown gloop that she cleaned up. She is grooming herself again so much less clumping of her fur around her bottom and back legs. She is cuddly again and walking around. I’m so confused. There’s no pain apparent or even looking for a nest.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She does look smaller yes. There are no signs of distress, no signs of heavy breathing. She’s eating and drinking and sleeping plenty. Still not a single sign. I wouldn’t be worried if she hadn’t woken up soaking wet yesterday morning. Also I am very sure I saw the mucus plug it was a pinkish brown gloop that she cleaned up. She is grooming herself again so much less clumping of her fur around her bottom and back legs. She is cuddly again and walking around. I’m so confused. There’s no pain apparent or even looking for a nest.
When exactly has she dropped? Its usually about a couple of days after this...

Anyways, my feel of distress is no longer here, because you write now she is much better and have no visible problems. So, watch out, be ready for everything, but you can almost surely wait and see...

The waiting game is a common pastime... :(

ps. Its common they dont look at the nesting box, but they are of course happy to know it is there available and waiting.
This is because, in nature, they dont want the nest to become smelly too early, and entice predators or ants.

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. Teddy bear still hasn’t had her babies. I thought last night it was going to happen as a fair amount of stuff was coming out but she is grooming herself constantly which is tiring her bless her. However again walking around little by little, eating small amounts and drinking not really using the litter tray though. The waiting game is real. I’d say she dropped yesterday morning and when feeling her tummy the babies seem to have moved lower. Bless her I had no idea it was such a slow process. Any tips or advice. How long is too long. Again she isn’t in any stress and no signs of panting or attempting to push not even super strong contractions.

Teddybearsmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps I had also spoken to the vet again yesterday and was also told to wait and there didn’t seem to be any concern. Can I just remind she lost her waters on Friday morning around 7 am we noticed. She was passing pinkinsh brownish fluid last night and a little more water. She’s going to her cat post in the living room a fair bit which I find strange she doesn’t seem to want to hide.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pinkish brownish fluid is a red flag. I think a vet visit is in order. An x-ray and/or ultrasound can determine how many kittens, gestational age, and heartbeats. Pinkish fluid is normal but brownish often shows when the uterine environment begins to deteriorate or a kitten has passed in utero. It may not be anything, but she needs to be checked.