Is my cat healthy?

Abdullah.alkabee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently became a cat owner before less than a week(a 3 month old cat), i went to the vet to get my cat some vaccination and make sure that he’s alright, he said that he is okay but i still have a little doubt in me because around his eyes there is a brown-red substance that doesnt seem to be going and he said that its fine, so i want to make sure if anyone here could help me solve my issue or confirm that this is really fine, and thank you all for your time.

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about the crusty, eye boogers?

That's mostly normal. The cat's natural tears collect in the eyelids in order to wash away dust and dirt. The tears, combine with said dirt and dry out. As it dries in contact with air, it darkens.

In most cats, you don't notice it as much. In white cats, it's more noticeable.

Our Casper is an all white cat and he gets eye boogers, too. Because he's white, they often stand out.

Sometimes, if there is a lot of dust or pollen in the air, cats will get more eye boogers and you'll notice them more. Other times, you might not notice them, at all.

If a cat has allergies to something, a cat might get eye boogers more frequently or more noticeably.

Some cats get them more than others. Cats with shorter muzzles or "flat-faced" cats will get them because their bone structure makes it more difficult for tears to drain away, naturally. Flat-faced cats are more prone to eye and upper respiratory problems.

90% of the time, eye boogers are nothing to worry about. Most cats will clean them, by themselves.
If you don't like the look of them, you can take a clean, damp cloth or tissue and carefully wipe them away.

Some cats will tolerate their humans wiping their eyes. Some cats won't.

Casper tolerates it a little bit when they get bad. He doesn't like getting his eyes wiped but, because he feels better, afterward, he puts up with it.

If your cat's eyes get red, swollen or produce a lot of fluid, you should call the vet.

If your cat seems, otherwise, okay and doesn't seem to be bothered by eye boogers, you shouldn't worry unless something changes, unexpectedly.

Basically, everything seems okay to me and, if you don't like the way your cat's eyes look, get a clean, damp cloth and see if he'll let you clean them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abdullah.alkabee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you talking about the crusty, eye boogers?

That's mostly normal. The cat's natural tears collect in the eyelids in order to wash away dust and dirt. The tears, combine with said dirt and dry out. As it dries in contact with air, it darkens.

In most cats, you don't notice it as much. In white cats, it's more noticeable.

Our Casper is an all white cat and he gets eye boogers, too. Because he's white, they often stand out.

Sometimes, if there is a lot of dust or pollen in the air, cats will get more eye boogers and you'll notice them more. Other times, you might not notice them, at all.

If a cat has allergies to something, a cat might get eye boogers more frequently or more noticeably.

Some cats get them more than others. Cats with shorter muzzles or "flat-faced" cats will get them because their bone structure makes it more difficult for tears to drain away, naturally. Flat-faced cats are more prone to eye and upper respiratory problems.

90% of the time, eye boogers are nothing to worry about. Most cats will clean them, by themselves.
If you don't like the look of them, you can take a clean, damp cloth or tissue and carefully wipe them away.

Some cats will tolerate their humans wiping their eyes. Some cats won't.

Casper tolerates it a little bit when they get bad. He doesn't like getting his eyes wiped but, because he feels better, afterward, he puts up with it.

If your cat's eyes get red, swollen or produce a lot of fluid, you should call the vet.

If your cat seems, otherwise, okay and doesn't seem to be bothered by eye boogers, you shouldn't worry unless something changes, unexpectedly.

Basically, everything seems okay to me and, if you don't like the way your cat's eyes look, get a clean, damp cloth and see if he'll let you clean them.
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it a lot!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with everything said above. Your little one looks to have a lot of Persian or another flat-faced breed in his genetic makeup. what a beautiful little face! Make sure you feed him as much as he wants several times a day until he is a year old. Kitten food has more nutrition. you could start now gently wiping his eyes with a warm, wet piece of a rag, my cats got used to this and I cleaned their eyes regularly. he may have a touch of feline herpes virus which is VERY common in kittens (not transferrable to humans) and causes upper respiratory problems. I keep feline 'Nose Relief' I buy on Amazon for that problem. if the discharge turns greenish or yellow, then it has turned into a secondary bacterial infection and may need antibiotic drops/salve from the vet. Cleaning his eyes now would get him used to that.

Abdullah.alkabee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I agree with everything said above. Your little one looks to have a lot of Persian or another flat-faced breed in his genetic makeup. what a beautiful little face! Make sure you feed him as much as he wants several times a day until he is a year old. Kitten food has more nutrition. you could start now gently wiping his eyes with a warm, wet piece of a rag, my cats got used to this and I cleaned their eyes regularly. he may have a touch of feline herpes virus which is VERY common in kittens (not transferrable to humans) and causes upper respiratory problems. I keep feline 'Nose Relief' I buy on Amazon for that problem. if the discharge turns greenish or yellow, then it has turned into a secondary bacterial infection and may need antibiotic drops/salve from the vet. Cleaning his eyes now would get him used to that.
I’ll make sure to keep everything you said in mind! Thank you very much!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs might have tips on how to keep Persian eyes clean. There's a general Persian grooming discussion here but the info is good if your cat is a Persian mix or some other flat face breed:

Abdullah.alkabee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally normal, unless the discharge is greenish. To clean use a warm wet cloth daily. Do not use your nail to scrape off the dry crust - it will pull hair out with it. To remove the staining you can try contact lens solution ( I use Equate Multipurpose Solution for soft lenses), Eye Envy or make a solution like Eye Envy - I have the recipe for it if you want. I decided to make mine since I have numerous cats. The idea is to remove the protein build up that comes from tearing causes staining.