Is my cat having breathing problem?

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cat is approx 11 years old (Don’t know her exact age as she was rescued as an adult). She has been with us for 10 years now. recently while sleeping she makes this noise (video included). She never made this noise before. Is she snoring or is she having any breathing issue?

I took her to the vet and lung X-ray is normal, the vet didn’t say she was having breathing issue. Now I am confused why does she make this sound while sleeping ? Did the vet misdiagnose her? If you have any clue please answer. Would really appreciate all your inputs.
Video :
Cat making Sound

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, good that she has seen the vet already and the lungs look good, is she ALWAYS making this noise when she sleeps or just sometimes? And does her breathing look laboured at all ever (lower abdomen/underside moving a lot while breathing, panting, fast breathing)? Can you count her breaths per minute (count the number of breaths in 30 seconds and multiply it by two) when she has been asleep for awhile and is not purring and is fully at rest, and ideally not making this noise? If it is less than 30, ideally less than 25, but above 15, that should mean she is in the normal range.

If her breath rate is normal and breathing not laboured, with a clear lung X-ray from the vet, my guess is she is just snoring, but the fact that she’s never done that before is of course a bit alarming for you. If it makes you feel any better, my 12 year old girl is a noisy breather and sounds just like this when she sleeps sometimes and it is indeed snoring. She has done it all her life though, we believe it is due to aggressive URIs in kittenhood that went untreated for a long time before I adopted her. Her last vet check was just last month, and there is nothing wrong with her lungs or breathing besides the fact that she’s a little noisy sometimes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for the reply. No she doesn’t make this noise while awake. She only makes this noise when she sleeps. So could it be upper respiratory infection ? Because she has runny nose too.

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much for the reply. No she doesn’t make this noise while awake. She only makes this noise when she sleeps. So could it be upper respiratory infection ? Because she has runny nose too.

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No it’s not always while sleeping. She does it sometimes while sleeping

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
If she also has a runny nose, yes it could be related to a URI too, congestion and such could definitely be contributing to the “snore” sound. How long ago did she see the vet, and did you mention the runny nose/URI symptoms? Or did they? If symptoms are mild it might clear up on its own, but if they progress or don’t get better soon she may need another vet visit and some meds.

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She got checked by the vet 3 days ago. The vet gave her some medicine. Yes I mentioned about the runny nose and the sound she makes. The doctor told to give her the medicines and if the symptoms still don’t go away to bring her back.

Biomehanika

Adult Cat
Purraise
She got checked by the vet 3 days ago. The vet gave her some medicine. Yes I mentioned about the runny nose and the sound she makes. The doctor told to give her the medicines and if the symptoms still don’t go away to bring her back.
OK perfect. Which medication is she on? Sounds like you’ve done everything right and now it’s just a waiting game for the meds to start working and her symptoms to hopefully start to clear up :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the angle of her head causing this. My Hannah girl snored like this all the time and it was because she had chronic sinus, drainage, and upper respiratory issues. It seemed worse in the winter when the air was dry.

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Biomehanika, the vet gave her Doxycycline Hydrochloride and Prednisolone syrup. Thank you so much for all your help 😃 Truly appreciate it 🫶🏼😇

Amybaroi777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
stephanietx stephanietx ,
I was also wondering if it’s because of her head angel but then again she has slept like this throughout the years but never made this sound so was wondering if its something else. Thank you for sharing about your Hannah. Thank you for the answer 😇🫶🏼