Is My Cat Going To Have Kittens Soon?

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m not 100% sure when my cat got pregnant but I have been able to feel the kittens move for over 2 weeks. She lost all the hair around her nipples and her milk came in but it won’t come out yet. I’ve been keeping a very close eye on her and she’s been having a cream colored discharge for the past 3 days. I don’t have a thermometer but I’m getting one today, but last night she felt very warm compared to how she usually feels and compared to my other cat. Does a cats temperature spike before it drops before they go into labor? I talked to my vet about bringing her in today to make sure that everything’s okay and she said that Bella could be entering the first stages of labor and that it could stress her out too much. Her sister has also been very loving towards her in the past day or two and they have been cleaning each other non stop. I haven’t noticed her trying to nest, I’ve set up 3 different spots and she hasn’t been in any of them.
I’m curious to see if anyone else has had experiences like this? She’s a little over a year and a half old and a very small cat as she was the runt of the litter. She will be spayed as soon as she can be and the kittens already have homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It also looks like there is a brown string starting to come out and I think it could be her mucus plug.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will probably have her kittens in the next day or two. Everything you have described is normal. No vet visit needed.

A cat’s temperature usually drops before labor, but not always.

Do not take her temperature though. It is stressful for her, and not a reliable indicator.

She’s clearly very close!

Mamalolo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any day now!!! It will be a surprise, my girl had hers on our bed after what seemed like forever! It was about two weeks of visual stomach movement when she gave birth two days ago!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to keep mom inside and 100% away from intact males until her spay?

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys for replying! And yes, she will be an inside cat until she gets spayed. Still no kittens but her stomach feels rock hard and as soon as I got home today her stomach tightened up and it almost looked like she was gonna throw up. Is this a contraction? She’s being really affectionate and is barely letting me type this lol

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been feeling her stomach and it feels like there’s bubbles. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find anything on it. Is this normal or should I take her to the vet tomorrow?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Contractions often look like ripples or waves down their belly. I suppose it could feel like bubbles too. Sounds like she is very close!

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bella keeps meowing at me and she is very cuddly. I checked her temperature and it dropped down to 99 (has been at 102-103 for the past week). I have a feeling kittens might come tonight!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Temperature is not always a reliable indicator, but it should be soon regardless! :)

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She started having contractions at 10:10 and just had her first kitten about 10 minuets ago! :)

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn’t fed it yet. When do I know if I need to use the formula and bottle feed?

falong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Bella just had her kittens last night and everything seems to be going great except one thing. I also took in Bella’s sister Bailey when they were kittens and Bailey keeps hissing and growling at the kittens. I kept them apart last night and I’m only letting Bailey be in the room when I can supervise. Has this happened with anyone else? What should I do?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep them separated for the time being!
The hissing may be because many adult cats dont understand what small kittens are. But its also making momma nervous, so keep Bailey outside. Or supervise as you do, if you want to try them meed.
It will be easier when they get older, say 4 weeks.

Yes, you change the bedding now and then. Perhaps even every second day. It depends a little if momma is very protective.. If she is verry protective, it must perhaps wait some.
Lay the kittens in a little reserv nest, so its warm and comfortable while you change of the bedding.

Or even have 2 nests, and let her move inbetween.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should keep the moms totally separated. Is Bailey spayed?

You can go ahead and change the bedding now.

Are you weighing the kittens daily?