Is My Cat Going To Die? Please Somebody Help.

maissahemmo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! I found a box of cats in the street two weeks ago and there was 4 dead kittens and one still alive so I took him home and fed him and all.
A few days ago he got cuts on his paws and they were small and got wider every day. His right hand got a lot bigger and bloody. His left paw too. And his legs have similar cuts. He can't walk and sleeps most of the time. Hardly eats anything. And I'm a student and broke, I can't afford to take him to a veterinary for now. I really hope anyone can help me. Please.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really see any other options here unfortunately. Can you apply at Carecredit.com or borrow some money or at very least take him to your closest Humane Society or rescue group and say you found him and wish to surrender him so he gets the help he needs?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really doesn't look good. I don't see a home remedy being an option in this case given the photo and what you've said. The best thing for this little one if you really can't find a vet that can work with you on manage to get the money together would be to surrender him to a local rescue and hope they can help him.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maissahemmo , you didn't ask for this situation and you're a superb person for getting him out of danger in that box, because he would have surely died. I know you're stressed but try to stay calm. =)

If you can't afford vet care, there are a few options...
-Call vets in your area and explain your situation and ask if they take payment plans (if that's something you think you could do.) Tell them you found this kitten and he's in bad shape. Ask them if they can help, if not, move on down the yellow pages and call others. You might have better luck with "country" vets vs. corporations in this respect.
-Call rescue groups. I don't automatically think no kill = is "really" no kill, but some of the really work hard to treat sick animals, and a new kitten would probably be a very "urgent" matter.
-Bank loan, which probably isn't an option...

Whatever you do, and whatever happens, you didn't go out, pay money for a kitten then say you can't take him to the vet. This just happened.
I'm all about home remedies, they save us thousands in vet bills a year, sometimes home remedies aren't enough...and with his tiny status and wee age, and as not-good as that picture looked, you need to take action. Last kitten we found didn't even get a cursory glance at our home remedy file--we went straight to the vet because she was in BAD shape all over.
I don't know what's going on with his foot. If it's an abscess, it's probably painful and will need some kind of antibiotic to prevent infection.
A kitten this size should be squalling for food every few hours and waking you up several times a night for food...the fact he's not makes me worry.

:alright: You seem worried and upset, and I don't blame you but no matter what happens remember you didn't ask for this, but did a good thing by bringing him home, out of the elements and will either provide care or find someone who can. You're a good person.