is my cat experiencing seizures ?

peachydian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat mocha shakes violently in her sleep sometimes flicking her eyes open while it's happening and it's been concerning me. I'm a first time cat owner and am not very knowledgeable on this. My mom says she's just dreaming but it really doesn't look like it ? should i take her to the vet ? and furthermore, if it's not seizures what is it ? i would love to show you guys as to be more sure but i unfortunately can't attach videos. if there's another way to show the videos please lmk !!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you can upload the video to YouTube, you can then copy and paste that URL directly into a post.

It is very hard to determine if a cat is having seizures from a description, especially since seizures can present in various ways. Absolutely, your cat could be dreaming, but if it does not seem that way to you it would be a good idea to see the vet. Try to get videos for the vet, even if you go in person with the cat, as it will more than likely not occur in the office. You might ask if the videos could be shown to the vet first, depending on their policies about accepting videos for diagnosis.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, if this is the only time she does this, it could be that she's dreaming but as stated, it's difficult to tell for certain since we're not veterinarians.

Last edited by a moderator:

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat mocha shakes violently in her sleep sometimes flicking her eyes open while it's happening and it's been concerning me. I'm a first time cat owner and am not very knowledgeable on this. My mom says she's just dreaming but it really doesn't look like it ? should i take her to the vet ? and furthermore, if it's not seizures what is it ? i would love to show you guys as to be more sure but i unfortunately can't attach videos. if there's another way to show the videos please lmk !!
I agree with your Mom about the dreaming thought. I have though in the past had a cat that had a seizure though. I did not see the seizure occur. Only the after affects. That cat lost the function of his hind legs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she wakes easily and is not disoriented immediately after, it is almost certainly not a seizure. Dreaming motions can be very jerky, and look like seizure activity, if you aren't used to seeing it.