Is meat Loaf / beef loaf safe for cats?

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my 5-month old persian cat ate at least 6-7 chunks of beef loaf because I left my food on our sink. Will he be okay? I have read that meat loaf might be dangerous to cats. Thank you to anyone who will answer.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason meat loaf may be dangerous is that it usually contains onion, which is toxic to cats. Anything over 1 gram per 5 lbs of cat weight can harm a cat, a small onion is about 100 grams. That being said, in my ignorant days I feed left over meatloaf a lot to my cats and my outside cats and nothing ever happened. They often left the onion behind. but i'm sure they ingested some. I would observe your kitten, if they start acting different, hiding, start throwing up, acting drowsy, then get them into a vet. You might call and ask, but I would bet they will say observe him. I really think he will be OK, but be viligant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

delightful_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you add onion when preparing the meatloaf there might be issues. But if no onion, probably no issues.
Hello, thanks for replying. It was a canned meat loaf I bought from the grocery. Since I left some of its leftovers on our sink, my cat ate more or less 7 chunks. I read the ingredients and though it was not specified, there were "spices". It's been an hour and a half since he ate but he seems fine. I just hope it is not toxic.