Is kitten coughing or hacking up hairball? (Video)

ayla333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone :)

I got my 3 month old grey kitten, Bowtie, on February 18. A little under a month ago, would regularly make a hacking-like sound a couple of times around 4-5am, I wasn’t ever sure what it was so I looked up everything from coughing to reverse sneezing but could not figure it out. Immediately after he would go right back to playing and running around and had no other symptoms.

He stopped for a few days, but this morning around 8am he was playing like usual but then stopped and did it again, but for significantly longer. Afterwards he immediately started playing like normal. I checked his airways for any kind of obstruction but they look clear and he is still not having any other symptoms. He doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort. I’m not sure if kittens this young can get hairballs and I’m absolutely sure it was not sneezing. Nothing like a hairball, vomit, etc has came out of Bowtie at all.

I was able to capture a video and will attach it here.

Is my kitten hacking or coughing?

It sounds a bit like when my 8 year old Ginger cat would try to hack up a hairball, but I have never had a kitten before so I am very concerned.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you send the video to your vet? Or take her in? It could be a upper respiratory infection aka a kitty cold. A cat trying to bring up something like a hairball is going to look more intentional about it in a crouch that makes it easier to bring stuff up. It may also be asthma.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. That sounds like sneezing to me which would put it in the area of a URI or other respiratory issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ayla333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you send the video to your vet? Or take her in? It could be a upper respiratory infection aka a kitty cold. A cat trying to bring up something like a hairball is going to look more intentional about it in a crouch that makes it easier to bring stuff up. It may also be asthma.
Unfortunately, the usual vet I was going to take him to is closed today. Hoping I can get an appointment tomorrow. Thank you

Caannes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the usual vet I was going to take him to is closed today. Hoping I can get an appointment tomorrow. Thank you
It might be asthma. You can google cat asthma and see lots of examples. Be sure to show your vet the video. I hope kitty is better soon!