Is it safe for outdoor cat to spend time with our indoor cats?

ellorr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
we have 8 indoor cats-all neutered, fully vaccinated. They're indoor, but have access to our garden (only under supervision though).
Recently, a kitty kind of 'self adopted' herself. She 100% belongs to our neighbor. She is spayed and has a flea collar (she's 100% flea and tick free) and recently we de-wormed her (we know the neighbor doesn't), however she's not vaccinated.
We let her in so she can rest a bit. She sleeps in cat beds around the house, occasionally we find her in my bed.
She also started bringing us 'gifts' (dead baby rabbit, dead birds, yay). We also have a dog, he's not fully vaccinated, because he's unfortunately allergic to all the vaccinations available to us.

Are our cats safe?

The thing is, we're really close to another neighbor and she has an indoor/outdoor kitty and he regularly comes to us as well. The girl mentioned above doesn't really interact with our cats much, the little guy absolutely does though and for the past half year everything's been fine.
What do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that you need to talk to your neighbors, both of them. These are their cats and they not only deserve to know, they need to know where the cats been spending their time and which other cats they've been interacting with, including the deworming . The neighbors may be perfectly fine with the current situation, but I wouldn't make that assumption.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellorr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that you need to talk to your neighbors, both of them. These are their cats and they not only deserve to know, they need to know where the cats been spending their time and which other cats they've been interacting with, including the deworming . The neighbors may be perfectly fine with the current situation, but I wouldn't make that assumption.
The neighbor with the boy kitty knows, plus we had to take care of him for a month, because she went to America, so that's not an issue. When it comes to the girl, I'm pretty sure they know, but we plan on speaking with them anyways, because of the deworming. The thing is, it's already been quite tough with them- WE were the ones who bought the collar, because everyday she was covered with ticks, and they wanted to let her out as a kitten during winter, so we had to talk them out of that as well. Thankfully they're pro-neutering though.
We're kind of scared to talk to them, because at this point she prefers being with us more than being with them. She most likely likes the comfort and quiet, since they never let her into their house-she's purely an outdoor cat. And no, they would not keep her inside, we tried.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think you will find a perfect solution, based on what you are saying. But the most important part of this is that your cats are all fully vaccinated. That lessens - but does not totally eliminate - all probable exposures. I don't know how you deal with your dog, who cannot be vaccinated. Might check with your vet about the potential cross-over ailments.

At a minimum, is it possible to find a way to talk to these neighbors about the benefit of vaccinations? We could probably give you some links to articles about it, but you would have to let us know if that is even a probable conversation to have.