Is it possible my cat already has hepatic lipidosis?

zvamcr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Last week, my cat had to have emergency intestinal surgery due to a blockage. She had started throwing up on Monday, and finally got surgery Wednesday Night. She refused to eat until Saturday. However, since she started eating again, I have been feeding her less than what she used to eat, because I thought it would not put strain on her body. I was not given a special diet to follow. I'm not sure of exact calorie numbers- I just know I have been feeding her less. (Was previously free feeding, then started feeding 50% of a cup, to now 75% of a cup of dry food. She is an overweight cat.
It was today that I realized that she has been eating significantly less than what I fed her before her surgery. She isn't anorexic or jaundiced. She is less active, but I'm not sure if that is because of recovering. The biggest tell is her bowel and bladder movements: after her surgery, she had been peeing once a day, then all of a sudden started peeing 4 times a day. She only started pooping on Monday, (which I was told is normal after GI surgery) but then didnt poop until Wednesday, then again on Friday. Both times, the poops were a little orange/yellow tint and soft, not brown or hard. They were still long and in log form.
Given that it is almost Monday, it will now have been 2 weeks since my cat ate regularly. I will now be feeding her a cup of dry food until I can get her on a proper diet, but is it possible she is already in this disease? If I start feeding her normally now, will I reverse the disease or any early stages of it, or is it too late for that and necessary for me to go to the vet? I will be going again on Tuesday to have her sutures removed, but I don't want to wait if its possible my cat is already seriously sick. Please help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I think that liver issues would have been apparent in the blood tests the vet clinic did prior to the surgery. You'll want to discuss this with them, or find a different vet. You can obtain her records from the current clinic so that the new veterinarian can see them.

until I can get her on a proper diet
I would strongly suggest that you transition your cat to canned food as soon as possible. Not only because there is more moisture in the canned food that is absorbed by the cat's body which is very important to try and avoid further digestive issues similar to what she just experienced, but many members have found that their cat loses weight slowly (which is the only safe way for a cat to lose weight) when canned food is fed rather than dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zvamcr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

I think that liver issues would have been apparent in the blood tests the vet clinic did prior to the surgery. You'll want to discuss this with them, or find a different vet. You can obtain her records from the current clinic so that the new veterinarian can see them.

I would strongly suggest that you transition your cat to canned food as soon as possible. Not only because there is more moisture in the canned food that is absorbed by the cat's body which is very important to try and avoid further digestive issues similar to what she just experienced, but many members have found that their cat loses weight slowly (which is the only safe way for a cat to lose weight) when canned food is fed rather than dry.
Thank you for your response. The issue is, my cat had been eating normally up until 2 days before her surgery, so I am not concerned that she had it prior. I am scared that any liver issues may have begun AFTER given how I changed her diet.

Thank you for the advice as well- I am new to this site but can see many links to proper cat nutrition and will get on that ASAP.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she’s still eating willingly, things aren’t all bad. You can probably wait until Tuesday’s appointment. They can do blood tests to determine if she has early hepatic lipidosis. I don’t have experience with it myself. But my understanding is that cats who get this don’t feel much like eating at all. Even if she did have it, the prescription is the same as you’re doing. Feed her back to health. It’s possible that her poops will become more regular when her eating becomes more regular. It’s also possible that the poop quality will improve the further she gets along in her recovery from the surgery. As long as she is eating willingly with no signs of nausea or anorexia, I don’t think you have an emergency room case here. I would write down these questions and observations you have to make certain you bring them up with the vet on Tuesday.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she was eating a little bit, she should be OK, you might want to just call your vet and see what they say. I've had cats refuse to eat for 4-5 days after surgery and they were fine. Surgery slows EVERYTHING down. The yellow stool color usually indicates a bacterial imbalance in the colon which surgery could bring about. Orange means too much bile. As long as she is eating, not throwing up, and drinking plenty of water she is doing good. Eating and being hungry is a very good sign. Her stool will traighten out in time and with regular feeding. But just to be safe I would call.