Is it possible for a cat to have sensitivity to food only in certain quantity?

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been doing food trial on my cat for the last few months after he started having bloody wet stool randomly on a food he has eaten for a while. After vet gave him meds that cleared blood, he was still having soft stool. My vet only recommends hills for everything so I've started doing my own food trials. For most of his life he was fed a low quality kibble with tons of non-animal ingredients at top, so I thought maybe his body can't deal with something more pure and high quality protein since he is 12 this year. I read that on some users posts before.

At first I suspected chicken sensitivity but recently I have him on a mix of Instinct LID rabbit and Instinct ultimate protein duck and he had great poops for a week, not ultra stinky and no poo smears on his bum.... However I blame myself but when I was giving freeze dried chicken treats to my other cat, my old boy was so desperate I gave him some... And now today he had much softer poops again. I thought maybe he didn't have chicken sensitivity as the ultimate protein duck actually has chicken in it, but maybe he just can't take high concentrations of chicken? Is that a thing?

(Obligatory disclaimer I know wet food is better than dry, there's a whole saga of him refusing wet and becoming stressed and almost dying from hunger strike last year, see my old posts. Im just going to do my best to feed him the best kibble he will eat and tolerate. My other cat gets wet and freeze dried raw.)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
FD treats are really dehydrating. Did he seem to strain/was his poo really dry when he had his bloody one? I’m wondering if the treats may have caused a bout of constipation, rather than triggering a sensitivity. If he’s sensitive to chicken, I doubt a couple treats would trigger it over eating food with the ingredient in it consistently.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been doing food trial on my cat for the last few months after he started having bloody wet stool randomly on a food he has eaten for a while. After vet gave him meds that cleared blood, he was still having soft stool. My vet only recommends hills for everything so I've started doing my own food trials. For most of his life he was fed a low quality kibble with tons of non-animal ingredients at top, so I thought maybe his body can't deal with something more pure and high quality protein since he is 12 this year. I read that on some users posts before.

At first I suspected chicken sensitivity but recently I have him on a mix of Instinct LID rabbit and Instinct ultimate protein duck and he had great poops for a week, not ultra stinky and no poo smears on his bum.... However I blame myself but when I was giving freeze dried chicken treats to my other cat, my old boy was so desperate I gave him some... And now today he had much softer poops again. I thought maybe he didn't have chicken sensitivity as the ultimate protein duck actually has chicken in it, but maybe he just can't take high concentrations of chicken? Is that a thing?

(Obligatory disclaimer I know wet food is better than dry, there's a whole saga of him refusing wet and becoming stressed and almost dying from hunger strike last year, see my old posts. Im just going to do my best to feed him the best kibble he will eat and tolerate. My other cat gets wet and freeze dried raw.)
My boys have had a sensitivity more to the wet food contents than the amount. After I switched from "Blue Buffalo " Kitten Chicken to Adult chicken. Both began vomiting the Adult chicken. I have since stopped with any canned Chicken. Currently they get Blue Buffalo Wilderness in canned Adult Turkey pate and Adult Wilderness Red Meat in chunks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FD treats are really dehydrating. Did he seem to strain/was his poo really dry when he had his bloody one? I’m wondering if the treats may have caused a bout of constipation, rather than triggering a sensitivity. If he’s sensitive to chicken, I doubt a couple treats would trigger it over eating food with the ingredient in it consistently.
I actually didn't give those treats during his bloody poop period! I rarely give them treats actually. Especially if someone is having health issues I stop all treat giving in the house. The bloody poop was in October/November after he ate what I suspect was a bad batch of food, but after getting a replacement and another brand he was fine on before, and after meds, he did not have blood anymore but still could not have solid poop on either food. I swapped him cold turkey to a rabbit only food and his poop normalized almost over night. I added some of the previous kibble into his food and his poop would get more soft (but not as soft as it was during the bloody stool phase). His stool now are basically logs but sometimes it would have just one section a bit softer than others (it would stain the poop bag a bit). He had clean bum consistently for a week or so until the treat incident.

He is also a huge water drinker, always been since I adopted him at 10 months old. He was constipated once when I got him on some kind of Wellness kibble, had blood on his butt and scooting but that's stopp since I swapped his food a decade ago.

Another reason why I suspected chicken was because he has always hard excessive hairball vomit issues. I assumed that was normal until last year when I learned about proper feline nutrition. Since I swapped him to the rabbit only/duck + chicken kibble mix, he has been passing his hair in his stool! Since the chicken in his duck+chicken doesn't seem to bother him yet I wonder if he is ok with chicken just not in high concentrations like a high quality chicken only kibble or freeze dried chicken treats.