Is It Normal That My Cats Still Eat Sooo Much?

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two kittens are turning 1 on may 2nd and they still eat a ton. They both eat between 9 or 10 ounces of canned food a day. They are on all wet. From everything I read people’s cats eat 5 or 6 oz. per day. They are dewormed and their litter box habits are perfect. They are British shorthair cats so I guess they take longer to grow? Any thought?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are their current weights? What food do they eat?
My boy is around 12 pounds and the girl is about 10 pounds. They are not overweight I’d say their body shape is about ideal. I feed a rotation diet. I feed merrick rabbit pate merrick backcountry rabbitt and beef packets. Whole earth farms pates. Instinct minced rabbitt cups. Some fussy cat chicken varieties. Some natural balance plateful pouches ( occasionally due to high carb content). On top of all that food I give them treats the instinct rabbitt and chicken raw boosters.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Assuming one 3 ounce pouch of Merrick at 71 calories and two 2.75 ounce cans at 78 calories each, that is 227 calories per day on the low end. Lets say for simplicity your guys eat 225 to 250 calories a day. Assuming the low end of calories at 20 calories per day that is what would be expected for a 11-12.5 pound cat. Sounds to me like you are right in range for what is expected for your size cats.

Each cat is different and we have seen all sorts. When someone says they feed 5 or 6 ounces a day they are usually talking a 7 to 9 pound cat. Although some cats are very inactive and will eat or need even less to maintain a healthy body condition. Then you have ones like my 13 pound boy who in standing in this photo and eats 300-350 calories a day, you do not even want to see my food bill.
On the other hand, my female who is sitting in the photo and weighs 8 pounds eats in the 180-200 calories range a day. So she kinda balances him out, sort of. The both are highly active, eating the same diet and are healthy body conditions despite their drastic calorie difference.

As long as your guys aren't getting chubby, don't worry about trying to compare food amounts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You're awesome and so are they. I'm not a vet but I'd say that if they fit the adult cat body chart in another six to 10 months depending on when they actually do stop growing, and you can feel a thin layer of fat when you lightly feel their ribs, you're doing fantastic!!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Assuming one 3 ounce pouch of Merrick at 71 calories and two 2.75 ounce cans at 78 calories each, that is 227 calories per day on the low end. Lets say for simplicity your guys eat 225 to 250 calories a day. Assuming the low end of calories at 20 calories per day that is what would be expected for a 11-12.5 pound cat. Sounds to me like you are right in range for what is expected for your size cats.

Each cat is different and we have seen all sorts. When someone says they feed 5 or 6 ounces a day they are usually talking a 7 to 9 pound cat. Although some cats are very inactive and will eat or need even less to maintain a healthy body condition. Then you have ones like my 13 pound boy who in standing in this photo and eats 300-350 calories a day, you do not even want to see my food bill.
On the other hand, my female who is sitting in the photo and weighs 8 pounds eats in the 180-200 calories range a day. So she kinda balances him out, sort of. The both are highly active, eating the same diet and are healthy body conditions despite their drastic calorie difference.

As long as your guys aren't getting chubby, don't worry about trying to compare food amounts.
I’d say my boy Milo eats about 250 plus calories a day. He is going to be a big boy I think. His build remains me of your boys build. Very muscular and just a big boy.
I can sympathize with you on the food bill my is through the roof but they are worth it. When he was a little kitten during his growth spurts he could easily eat 16 ounces a day. He probably still would if I let him :D

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're awesome and so are they. I'm not a vet but I'd say that if they fit the adult cat body chart in another six to 10 months depending on when they actually do stop growing, and you can feel a thin layer of fat when you lightly feel their ribs, you're doing fantastic!!
Awwww thank you. That’s so sweet!! I feel better now knowing I’m not over feeding them.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe it all depends on the cat. My boy is about one and half and a healthy 13lbs. He's the one in my avatar and certainly a big boy. To maintain his weight, he gets 6oz of homemade raw plus 4oz of canned food a day for a total of 10oz of food a day. My 9lb girl gets about 7.2oz of canned food a day to maintain her weight. They're both ideal weights and not overweight so it really differs from cat to cat, in my opinion.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe it all depends on the cat. My boy is about one and half and a healthy 13lbs. He's the one in my avatar and certainly a big boy. To maintain his weight, he gets 6oz of homemade raw plus 4oz of canned food a day for a total of 10oz of food a day. My 9lb girl gets about 7.2oz of canned food a day to maintain her weight. They're both ideal weights and not overweight so it really differs from cat to cat, in my opinion.
Your boy is adorable. I guess the bigger boys just need more food. Plus I think mine is still growing. Thank you for your insight:)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats are five and still eat a lot for their age and size! They ate huge quantities of food throughout their second year... beyond being very active, they were underfed rescues when we adopted them. I don't count calories but I watch their appetites and body profiles carefully and adjust meals as necessary. Sometimes they eat more or less depending on the weather, season, or other mysterious variables. The main thing is to always keep watching, which is easier and more effective for me than calorie calculations.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine just turned one and eat between eight and nine ounces a day. Some canned food is lower in calories. I don’t count calories every day, but if mine eat every bit of their dinner at 8pm I may throw 15 pieces of kibble in their puzzle feeder when I go to bed. Most days now though they leave a bite on their dinner plates so no kibble for them.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m glad I’m not the only one with cats that are little piggies. THats their nickname :crackup:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad I’m not the only one with cats that are little piggies. THats their nickname :crackup:
You are not alone! As long as they stay active and don't get too "padded," they'll be fine.