Is it normal for a Cat's tummy to stay fat after giving birth?

Izzudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys and gals. Just joined this forum to ask if it's normal for a Cat's tummy to still kind of look pregnant even after giving birth. It's this stray cat that lives around my area everyone takes care of her and feeds her but I think there a lot of males with balls uncut that's why she keeps getting pregnant. This is probably her 3rd/4th pregnancy. She safely delivered 4 kitties ...on my bed, my white mattress bed. It's her 2nd time giving birth at my house the first time she also delivered on my bed but it was a different bed and that one wasn't white so I could clean it easily. We have these cheap rooms for rent in our house that are separate from our main house and that time the key to one of the rooms was broken and she sneaked in and gave birth in there, so I didn't even know she has given birth until I saw the door to the room was opened. I took care of her kitties that time and planned on doing so until they're grown and can take care of themselves or get adopted but she took them away after around 1 month and I have no Idea where she took them because I never saw them again since. This time was really up close and personal because I was there when she was giving birth. She was in front of my house and looked hecking cute so I took her in for pets and I really didn't expect her to give birth there and then, she showed signs of labor cramps and I wasn't expecting it to be so soon. I was on my computer when she was giving birth and only noticed that she was giving birth when she meowed loud, one of the kitties was already out by then and I thought "Well,damn. might as well let her finish". I'm planning on feeding her and giving her shelter unless she takes her kids away somewhere again. I decided to name her Karen.

On a side note, how do I wash stains off of a white mattress...

TLDR: Neighborhood Cat gave birth on my bed and her tummy still looks heckin fat afterwards, just wondering if that's normal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome!!

just wondering if that's normal.
To a degree, until the surrounding muscles return to normal.

Try an enzymatic cleaner on that bed.

Would you be willing to try and get her in for a spay, or to contact a Trap Neuter and Release group? They would trap her and also hopefully some of the boys too, get them fixed and then bring them back to the same location.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Izzudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Welcome!!

To a degree, until the surrounding muscles return to normal.

Try an enzymatic cleaner on that bed.

Would you be willing to try and get her in for a spay, or to contact a Trap Neuter and Release group? They would trap her and also hopefully some of the boys too, get them fixed and then bring them back to the same location.
Thanks for replying!

I'd really love to spay the cats in my neighborhood or even just Karen specifically but the cost of spaying is not something I can afford currently.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the U.S where people are aware of strays and are willing to help. I live in Indonesia, where strays is a massive problem. Most people like strays but either can't afford to have pets or don't like them enough to take care of them. There aren't really any laws and regulations related to strays so there are people that abuse and treat them like trash, people can basically treat them however they want and the only punishment will be societal backlash. There are those that truly care for strays and even feed them every day but then again they have the money to feed them but not the space/time and money to keep and spay them.

I also care for these strays but I don't really have the time nor money to focus on them so I feed them when I see them and I give them shelter when they look like they're in need, like when they're pregnant,sick or with kittens for example. But as for taking care of them fully I don't think I can afford it, I don't think many can... Those that can tend to buy from pet shops instead of adopting and those That can't but force themselves to fully take care of them are usually unable to do anything when the cat gets Ill.

There are tons of Cat Lovers in Indonesia and tons of groups in Facebook with a huge amount of members. And I often see people posting about their cats being Ill or sick and not knowing what to do, most of them don't have the money to take their pets to the Vet, so most of the Ill and sick cats end up dying.

As for Trap Neuter and Release groups, there are very, and I mean very few of them when compared to countries like the U.S. And most of these groups are already very overwhelmed and lacking in support and donation. There are already so many Cats that are up for adoption the groups that I know of.

The awareness for animals, especially strays here is very low. A lot people treat them like they're no different from pests or just outright ignore them. Ironically cats is the one animal that should be protected the most in this country if anything. The majority of the country's population is Muslim and they say the love cats but most of them say it because the Prophet Muhammad's(PBUH) favorite animal was cat. It's even especially more saddening because important and or famous figures in this country don't bring light about this problem at all.

Izzudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying!

I'd really love to spay the cats in my neighborhood or even just Karen specifically but the cost of spaying is not something I can afford currently.

Unfortunately, I don't live in the U.S where people are aware of strays and are willing to help. I live in Indonesia, where strays is a massive problem. Most people like strays but either can't afford to have pets or don't like them enough to take care of them. There aren't really any laws and regulations related to strays so there are people that abuse and treat them like trash, people can basically treat them however they want and the only punishment will be societal backlash. There are those that truly care for strays and even feed them every day but then again they have the money to feed them but not the space/time and money to keep and spay them.

I also care for these strays but I don't really have the time nor money to focus on them so I feed them when I see them and I give them shelter when they look like they're in need, like when they're pregnant,sick or with kittens for example. But as for taking care of them fully I don't think I can afford it, I don't think many can... Those that can tend to buy from pet shops instead of adopting and those That can't but force themselves to fully take care of them are usually unable to do anything when the cat gets Ill.

There are tons of Cat Lovers in Indonesia and tons of groups in Facebook with a huge amount of members. And I often see people posting about their cats being Ill or sick and not knowing what to do, most of them don't have the money to take their pets to the Vet, so most of the Ill and sick cats end up dying.

As for Trap Neuter and Release groups, there are very, and I mean very few of them when compared to countries like the U.S. And most of these groups are already very overwhelmed and lacking in support and donation. There are already so many Cats that are up for adoption the groups that I know of.

The awareness for animals, especially strays here is very low. A lot people treat them like they're no different from pests or just outright ignore them. Ironically cats is the one animal that should be protected the most in this country if anything. The majority of the country's population is Muslim and they say the love cats but most of them say it because the Prophet Muhammad's(PBUH) favorite animal was cat. It's even especially more saddening because important and or famous figures in this country don't bring light about this problem at all.
Sorry for the double reply. I mean that Most people like strays but there are also A lot of people that ignore and treat them like pests. Sorry if it seems like conflicting statements

Izzudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also just for an example of how bad the problem of strays is Indonesia, The government in Bali supports lynching of strays. They'd rather poison them and let them die a slow and excruciating death rather than spend tax money for a Spay and Neuter program.

Izzudin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully things will improve over time, --you are a wonderful example.
Thanks, Furballsmom I really appreciate your kindness. Also, I checked back on Karen and it's not 4 kitties it's 6 of them! My goodness, happy to see they're all healthy though.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago did she give birth? I'm not a cat, but it took a couple days before my stomach started going down (and then a few more days from looking less pregnant to not pregnant)! It may be the same for cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I applaud you for caring for this cat, and appreciate you sharing the perspective on cats from where you live; however, it would be awesome if you could manage to find a way to spay Karen, as well as find responsible homes for her off-spring. The buck needs to stop somewhere. Perhaps you can think of a way to help change things in your little corner of the world. If we can help you find a low cost spay clinic in your area please give us location details. Thank you for caring and sharing.