Is It Normal For A Cats Stomach To Be Sore After Giving Birth?

Anna Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave birth to four kittens about a day ago and I finally found her taking a break away from the nesting box so I took the opportunity to check up on her ( I didn't want to take her away from her kittens to check on her ) just the normal stuff like checking discharge and her nipples, but when I got to very lightly feeling her abdomen she started growling and moved away. She's normally very friendly, even when i'm around her and her kittens. So, is it normal for her to be sore or did she hurt herself somehow?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Having delivered 4 kittens, its not peculiar they are sore inside the vomb, vagina and that. That said, she is probably more sore than most. I understand outwards she doesnt has especial symptoms? Just the normal red colored discharges? No fever? Still, if you do have access to a vet, its surely wise with a check up. Or at least, you phone and ask.
Sore in the stomach as such, ie part of the intestine system, isnt the common no.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's most likely fine, just not in the mood to be handled after the rigors of labor, delivery, and nursing.

Cats get after pains, and can bleed for 7-10 days, just like humans. They are fatigued. Their insides are tender.

Their hormones are in high gear, and it can take a few days for them to settle in and feel better.

Feed her well, as much dry kitten chow as she wants, and several wet meals per day.

She can be spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old.

I hope that's all it is. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anna Johnson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for replying! She's other ways acting fine and normal and i'm glad to hear that it's nothing serious, thanks!