Is It Illegal To Let Ferals Live In Your Yard?

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Dallas Texas, and I have about 10 "feral" cats that come around to eat, and about 4 of them never really leave my backyard. I also have homemade cat shelters to keep them warm in my backyard. I haven't had any issues, but I'm just curious if I could get in trouble for feeding, and caring for them. They are all fixed/ vaccinated through the TNR program. I don't think my neighbors mind as the cat's don't ever go onto their property because they have dogs. I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm just trying to help the little one's to make their live's less difficult. I've tried to look up feral cats laws, but I can't really find anything.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is something you will have to look into as it varies from city to city, county to county, etc.. In my area, cats are not supposed to be free roaming. Yet, they just look the other way if you are caring for feral cats. I do my best to stay under the radar and not draw attention to what I am doing on my property. My close neighbors all know and support my efforts.

I would keep doing what you are doing. Alley Cat Allies might be a good resource as well.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they stay mostly on your property, there should be no problems. I know in my area, I am allowed to feed cats on my property because it is my property. If I were you, I wouldn't be asking the local police about it, I would continue to fly under the radar. As long as you have good relationships with your neighbors then there shouldn't be a problem. You are doing your community a great service by neutering and spaying and caring for these cats. Without your effort, they would be breeding and becoming a public nuisance. They also give the added benefit of rodent control.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your municipality has a TNR program, they probably have something worked out legally. I would just try to keep things low-key and hope for the best. If you really need to know the local ordinances, either ask City Hall for a copy of all animal-related ordinances, or ask the Humane Society if they know. Don't call attention to yourself by asking any law enforcement agencies.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with the others. It varies too much from city to city for anyone but the local groups to know what the specific laws are in your area. Asking the Humane Society (without saying you are doing it already, just in case) would probably be your best bet to be sure.

According to this American Legal Publishing - Online Library it looks like if the cats are part of a TNR project approved by the "director" they aren't considered the responsibility of the land owner or pets.... I think.

"(a) An owner commits an offense if the owner fails to restrain the animal, at all times: (c) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the animal was 2) a feral cat participating in a trap, neuter, and return program approved by the director."

"In determining the number of dogs or cats harbored on the premises of a dwelling unit under Subsections (b) and (c) of this section, the director shall not count any dog or cat under six months of age or any feral cat participating in a trap, neuter, and return program approved by the director."

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably it won't help you much, but over here where I live cats can stay wherever they choose to stay.
When a group of feral cats pick a spot for living they cannot be moved to another location unless for their own safety.
We can feed and let feral cats in our property, provided that they don't pose a health threat to other people. Nobody can stop anybody from feeding a group of cats.
Over here, cats (both feral and not) are free to roam anywhere. A State law says that cats cannot be confined.
Of course, the same rule does not apply to dogs :)

However, I don't think my post may be helpful for your situation.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't find the Dallas city ordinance online, then the TNR group who offers services probably know the answer. I'm in Austin where the "pet ordinance" is limited to 6 cats and 6 dogs. There was a guy around the corner from me managing a colony a few years back. He took care of that colony for several years. One day I saw the animal control truck at his house, and within a week all the cats were gone. Someone must have reported him for having too many cats.

We have dozens of ferals around here. I only TNR'd and feed one of them, but I won't put a microchip in her identifying her as "mine". She's a community cat with no owner...just because she lives on my patio, gets regular meals, comes in the house when it's cold (or whenever she wants to), and gets any necessary medical care. If anyone asks...."Nope, not my cat." :devilish:

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Look into Texas Coalition for Animal Protection. They sponsor our colony here in Fort Worth and can offer advice if needed. Good luck! Texasforthem.org.

Last edited: