Is It 100% Necessary To Trim Your Cat's Nails?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens, and they both hate having their nails cut. The smaller 5 month male cries at the sightliest touch, and the older 7 month female goes crazy when I hold her. Cutting their nails is definitely the worst part of owning a cat for me.

Trying to read more on it and it seems like some people don't even cut their nails? I have 7 scratching posts varying from horizontal/vertical, cat trees, actual wood, etc. Do I actually need to cut their nails?

Just really rather not make them upset every week and have to feed them a bunch of treats. Thoughts?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I trim my Charlie’s nails every three weeks. The main point of nail trims is to prevent the nails from growing so long that they begin to cut into the bottom of the foot, which can happen if cats don’t scratch their post often enough.

The best way to get your kitties used to nail trims is to handle their feet often. Something as simple as just holding their paw to get them used to the idea. Going through the process with cats gradually is best, even if you only trim one claw in a session, that’s a start! Alternatively, you could take your cats into the vet or groomer for a nail trim.

Here’s an article that outlines the nail trim process in more detail: How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good thing about having them as kittens is as they grow up, to constantly play with their feet as much as possible and reward them. I saw a cat at the last clinic I worked at who never had its nails trimmed and every single one grew into its paw pads, now these were also fairly neglectful owners whose cat stayed in the basement because it wasn't friendly and they never interacted with it much... but still. They went down to feed it one day and there was blood everywhere. Cat had to be sedated and everyone cut out, bandaged up, it was awful. Obviously that is an extreme case, but yes, it is important to trim your cats claws.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't trim my cats nails but they go outside. So between climbing, walking on concrete and clawing at rocks or trees they maintain them fairly well without me. If your cats are indoors only triming will help prevent damage or scratches. If they really dislike trimming, keep plenty of scratchers of different types around so your cats have good scratching places. If you have a fireplace, a decorative stack of wood inside on a stable surface can be a great scratching spot. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't trim them, just give them ways to do some self maintenance if possible.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
For years, I generally didn't worry about trimming claws until they get older and don't use the scratching post as much (usually due to arthritis). Then you have to keep an eye on them because they can curl as they grow and embed into the pad, which becomes another issue. Thing is, if they are not used to having their paws handled by then, nail trimming can become a real chore. So, these days I tend to do a lot of "practice touching" with the occasional actual trim.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yes . Especially if kitty is indoors a lot . They get caught on rugs, curtains etc when too long . Very dangerous .