Is he Maine Coon?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well he lives at my mom's so he eats what she feeds him. He also eats tuna, but you try telling him he can't have that. I'm sure he could have some health problems, but like I said I'm afraid a move would put him into shock. I am happy if he is happy and if that means he's fat and happy until he passes than so be it. Not to mention my mother wouldn't feed him right even if I paid her too.

I just really wanted to know if he was MC or not. I saw a picture in a book years ago and thought that it looked like him. Oh well, he's still special no matter what.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

Well he lives at my mom's so he eats what she feeds him. He also eats tuna, but you try telling him he can't have that. I'm sure he could have some health problems, but like I said I'm afraid a move would put him into shock. I am happy if he is happy and if that means he's fat and happy until he passes than so be it. Not to mention my mother wouldn't feed him right even if I paid her too.

I just really wanted to know if he was MC or not. I saw a picture in a book years ago and thought that it looked like him. Oh well, he's still special no matter what.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! He looks like a special furbaby to me!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You know i could really shoot Cats 101 for even saying that - its been a headache EVER since they did that.
I know when I heard them say that on Cats 101 my jaw dropped! No wonder so many people think their domestic longhair is a Maine Coon, when they are getting that kind of totally wrong information that could apply to ANY long-haired tabby.

I guess I should tell my purebred Maine Coon Roxy's breeder that she can't be a Maine Coon since she is solid black-- no "M"! Also while Roxy is VERY long compared to my DSH cats and has a large frame, she is not that heavy in weight. She is large-boned but very slim and only weight about 11 pounds. Of course, she is only 2 years so she may fill out more.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

I guess the "M" is there...it's just not as noticable as I have seen before.
Seeing THESE pictures I understand a little better if you though he may be a MCO look alike, or at least - have some mix in him.

On the first picture he was rather a Chartreux - mix, to me at least.

About taking the weigh down, slowly but sure.

Does he eats wet food?

Wet food of good quality (easier to make a good wetfood than good dry food)
is not only good cat food by itself, but also works fine as a gentle weight reducing cure.

Good luck!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I know when I heard them say that on Cats 101 my jaw dropped! No wonder so many people think their domestic longhair is a Maine Coon, when they are getting that kind of totally wrong information that could apply to ANY long-haired tabby.

I guess I should tell my purebred Maine Coon Roxy's breeder that she can't be a Maine Coon since she is solid black-- no "M"! Also while Roxy is VERY long compared to my DSH cats and has a large frame, she is not that heavy in weight. She is large-boned but very slim and only weight about 11 pounds. Of course, she is only 2 years so she may fill out more.

OMG - Roxy is one hot babe!!!
Do you think she would like a virtual Valentine's date with my Archie? He's about 14.5 lbs... a bit chubby but a handsome dude.. also fluffy and black. Go to the Lounge and see gemlady's post! It's really cute!

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to thread hijack, but I'd never heard of Chartraux cats before! My DSH moggy looks a lot like them (to my very untrained eye). Thanks, StefanZ!

marinewife, gray tabbies are a serious weakness of mine! He's lovely.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

OMG - Roxy is one hot babe!!!
Do you think she would like a virtual Valentine's date with my Archie? He's about 14.5 lbs... a bit chubby but a handsome dude.. also fluffy and black. Go to the Lounge and see gemlady's post! It's really cute!
Roxy says thank you! I'm sure she'd love a virtual Valentine date.

scatt cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it is better to take the weight off slowly. About the kitty being fat and dying happy, that's sadly not gonna happen.....He'll get arthritis and suffer terribly especially as he ages. He may have to put to sleep early as well. Not happy....

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Roxy says thank you! I'm sure she'd love a virtual Valentine date.
I apologize that I didn't see this sooner.... Archie got a date with Momofmany's Koko! They are having a swell time! Archie even "Let" Koko win at wrestling!! LOL!!!

It doesn't change the fact that Roxy is GOOOOOOORRRGEOUS.