Is a tiny amount of terro ant bait okay for cats?

emiliemeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m using some of those liquid terro ant baits in my home currently. My cat has no interest in them but sometimes sits on the path of the ants walking to/from the bait and presumably a few get on her. I am guessing she may ingest a few ants while grooming.
Assuming those ants may have some or the bait on/in them, is this safe for her? Do I need to completely keep her out of this room? It’s a bit tough to do that because it’s near her litter box.
Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ants I have that I use those baits for are tiny, nearly microscopic ants and they rarely are alive after they come in contact with the bait. So, unless she is eating dead ants, it isn't likely she is ingesting much of the bait just from the ants unless she is licking the bait itself. Those kinds of ants are usually coming in through a window or door where the seal/caulk has been breached. I have followed them around so I can find out where they are coming in, and then re-seal the tiny place I see them going in and out.

If they are bigger ants, and they track the stuff elsewhere, and there a bunch of ants, then that might be more worrisome - calling the company, as suggested above, would be a good idea. For the bigger ants, there are various different products that might be as effective that don't require using gooey bait. I use Ortho Home Defense Spray, and once it is dry it is safe for pets to be around. Just spray it, or a similar product, while your cat is out of the room, and then she can be let back in once it is dry. You don't need to spray a lot of it, so it doesn't take that long to dry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I use Ortho Home Defense on the outside of my house at any entry point for ants. It is highly and quickly effective at stopping them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Terro is one of the safer ant traps out there. It is just borax in sugar water. I use them around Kabuto's food bowls. I have tried moating his bowl but he won't eat from it then.

Kabuto likes to play with ant traps so I have to hide mine under the appliances.

While borax is toxic, it takes a large amount to do more than cause an upset stomach.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

emiliemeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ants I have that I use those baits for are tiny, nearly microscopic ants and they rarely are alive after they come in contact with the bait. So, unless she is eating dead ants, it isn't likely she is ingesting much of the bait just from the ants unless she is licking the bait itself. Those kinds of ants are usually coming in through a window or door where the seal/caulk has been breached. I have followed them around so I can find out where they are coming in, and then re-seal the tiny place I see them going in and out.

If they are bigger ants, and they track the stuff elsewhere, and there a bunch of ants, then that might be more worrisome - calling the company, as suggested above, would be a good idea. For the bigger ants, there are various different products that might be as effective that don't require using gooey bait. I use Ortho Home Defense Spray, and once it is dry it is safe for pets to be around. Just spray it, or a similar product, while your cat is out of the room, and then she can be let back in once it is dry. You don't need to spray a lot of it, so it doesn't take that long to dry.
My ants are similar - small ones.
They are coming up through the bathroom floor and unfortunately it’s close to her litter box so I can’t really move the baits to a spot she won’t be near. She’s not actively eating the ants but I’m worried a few might get on her fur just as she’s walking around, and she would eventually groom herself and thus ingest them.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are coming up through the bathroom floor
I'd still check around the perimeter of the floor along the walls/corners and see if there are any breaches that could be sealed. It would seem odd, but I suppose not impossible, for them to actually be coming up through the floor since there has to be some sort of sub-flooring, or concrete, beneath it.