Introductions–good Signs Vs. Bad Signs?

regretsuko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! First time posting here. Very happy this forum exists–everyone seems very supportive and knowledgeable.

I have some pretty bog standard about what is/isn't normal during resident cat-kitten introductions. I did my best to prepare for the introduction process–setting up a secure base for the kitten with separate food, litter trays, etc. I'm currently at the scent swapping stage, which is going... ok. My resident cat (2yo F; pictured in avatar!) is displaying some aggressive behaviors even in these early, fairly low stress contexts. She goes back and forth between licking and swatting at the sock I've presented to her.

She hisses/growls whenever she smells the kitten, and at one point even tried to swat under the door into the kitten's base camp while I was playing with her. She has also hissed/swatted at me a few times when I came back from handling the kitten (likely carrying kitten smells). Occasionally she will also display very agitated body language (puffing out & lashing her tail). From what I've read, the hissing and growling at/around the kitten is normal; however, I'm a bit more concerned about the aggressive swats and displays, as well as the displaced aggression towards me (a human who loves her!!!).

We're quite early on in the introduction process–and I'm prepared for things to take a long time. With that said, it would be nice to hear others' success stories and/or some assurance that my resident cat's behavior doesn't suggest like total incompatibility with housemates :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! And welcome to The Cat Site! Sounds like you already understand that this can be a marathon, so it's good you are prepared.

I've gone through one cat introduction, and my boyfriend has gone through several. We introduced Olive to our two resident cats. Gohan smelled the towel and was very interested but did not hiss or swat or lick it. Trin barely registered that there was a new smell. When my BF introduced Gohan to Trin, Trin attacked and hissed at the towel with Gohan's smell on it.

Olive is an adult cat, and I have heard introducing an adult is typically much harder than a kitten. Chasing, hissing, swatting and growling are all normal. Basically, let them figure things out, and generally the interactions are good unless there is blood, fur flying, or one cat is so stressed out that they don't eat/drink/use the litter box or they hide excessively.

The hissing and swatting at you is likely misdirected aggression - similar to a cat swatting at another cat when it sees an animal out the window. Calming products may work like Feliway.

The most important thing is to remain calm yourself. Try and play with the cats to tire them out before any supervised visit, and group feedings are one of the most critical things. rubysmama rubysmama has some great links, if you follow those and go a the most reluctant cat's pace, it typically works out. Good luck, and let us know how it goes! We also love photos!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

regretsuko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful resources & feedback, all!

I think things have started to smooth over. My resident cat no longer swats or hisses at me, and has returned to her usual soppy self when we're one on one. She has also stopped moping under my bed altogether!

The kitten minds her own business and sleeps most of the time. I've been putting her on my office desk inside of a milk crate with some warmed blankets, food, and water. When I put a towel over the top of the crate my resident cat will even sometimes lie next to her or on my lap! I don't know if my resident cat *knows* that the kitten is inside, but I take it as a pretty promising sign from someone who just a few days ago would assault kitten-scented socks!!

Here are some pictures:

kitten (with fish)

old sop

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... beautiful kitties. :catlove: Glad things are starting to get better. :catrub: