Introducing Outdoor Cat To Indoor Cat

katiesanders_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello- I have never posted to this site before. We have had a little tabby hanging around for about 2 months now. We took him to the vet a while ago because of an infected injury on his foot and got him up to date on all his shots etc. We (my husband and I) are considering bringing him inside, but we have an indoor cat who we have had for about 3 years now and aren’t sure how they’ll react to each other. They see each other through windows all the time and mainly just sit and meow at each other. Neither seem to act aggressively toward the other. Any advice would be appreciated! He’s a sweet cat and they have pretty similar personalities (both like to sleep all day), we’re just worried because they’re on the younger side and there’s no way to tell how they would react to each other in person. They have met face to face thru a screen door a few times. She’s a 3 yr old Blue Russian and Tortie and we’ve had her since she was 8 months old.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Welcome to the site. Thank you for considering bringing him inside to safety.

The key is really to go through the formal introduction process. So we slowly introduce them via scent first associating them with good things (food), the we slowly introduce through some sight again associating with good things (food), and during this work to build their confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love (will explain more about this) and when they realize the other cat is not a threat we then slowly get them together (supervised) for short periods and then expand on the time together.

During the process we will also be doing scent swapping and site swapping (will explain more).

And during each phase we want to make sure every interaction (whether via scent or sight etc) is as positive as possible to reinforce that the other cat doesn't mean harm.

Usually the resident (existing) cat has the most difficult time adjusting (as it is their territory being "invaded" by a potential threat). So we want to build their confidence (as a confident cat is less likely to attack or be attacked and more likely to accept another cat) and to associate the other cat with positive things (food especially and positive encounters).

The more trust that is built up the faster the process will go. The key is to get the cats to think "hey, I know that cat, that cat is cool" and to behave. A good sign is when a cat looks away from the other cat (a sign of trust because who would look away from a potential threat?).

The biggest mistake is people rush the process. There are always setbacks but we don't want to reinforce negative encounters, only positive encounters.

Here are some links to look at to help explain the process more.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

I am happy to help you through every aspect of the introductions to help your guy find his new forever home. The process is very important. I have gone through this quickly but there is more detail as we go through the process. I have taken in many cats and have had great success, I don't see any reason why you will not as well.

Thank you so much for considering giving him a great home. Always here for you anytime.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely. Hit this from all directions, and get these kitties happy and adjusted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesanders_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today we brought in the outside kitty and put him in our laundry room. It leads to our garage so we leave that door open so he can still go out if he gets spooked. They did fine with the living room door separating them this time- a little weird for the first few minutes but after a while really no noise at all. How do you know when they’re ready to see each other? We’re letting him sleep in the laundry room on Friday since temps are dropping to low 20s!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a process. The biggest problem I see is that people rush the introductions and it takes longer to build trust between them. So we want to take it slowly. So start feeding on each side of a closed door. Start a bit separated and slowly move the food closer to the closed door. This way they can associate the other's scent with something good (food). We do this for a little while watching their body language. If their body language is good and positive then we move to the next step. Our goal is to make positive associations and to make every encounter (through scent to begin with then sight) as positive as possible as we want the cats to not fear the other cat. We want to build trust between them and to let them know the other is not a threat.

During introductions the resident/existing cat usually has the most difficult adjustment as it is their "territory" being "invaded" by a potential predator. Our goal is to show the cats the other one doesn't want to hurt them. We also want to build the resident/existing cat's confidence by stepping up play and feeding after play. A confident cat is more likely to accept another cat and to be accepted.

Then when we think it is time to move to the next step we do that. I do some scent swapping before starting to have a little opening (I use a screen door but not all houses have that). Gates that are high and can't be climbed over also are good.

Before I do any scent swapping I get a PCR test done and try to eliminate any risk of Giardia etc. I also make sure the outdoor cat is de-wormed so as the indoor cat doesn't catch anything.

I also have them fully inside. I am very cautious on worms etc. I don't want any issues with the indoor cats getting anything then having to deal with that. So I bring the cat totally in, do the PCR test, get them de-wormed and do anything else needed and then do the scent swapping etc.

So for now take it slow. Consider having the cat totally inside and checked out for issues and worms so the inside cat doesn't catch anything. Start feeding on each side of the door starting a little away from the door and slowly moving the food closer each day. Watch how they act and their body language. Then if we feel like there is not a risk of some issue transferring to the existing/resident cat then we will want to do some scent swapping (I can explain how). Then we will want to eventually move to a little sight when they eat (trying to make the encounter as positive as possible).

We want everything we do to promote a positive experience which will build trust between them.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you so much for considering to bring him in. If we follow the process (ad given their history) we should be able to get these cats together. Happy to help and always here for you.

Here are some helpful links as well.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesanders_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We let him in again today and it didn’t go so well this time. I think our inside cat just gets too excited and super impulsive. Hopefully it’ll go better next time. They still haven’t been physically together in the same room yet. Hopefully one day.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just take it slow. We don't want a negative association to start to take root. Keep them from seeing each other if at all possible. Then try to make a positive association. If your resident cat realizes the outside cat is near try to make it a positive experience. Distract her. With food or play. Anything that makes her focus on something positive. Our goal is to make a positive association, to build trust. to ease them into a safe relationship.

It will be a month at the least before they are physically together without a barrier but with supervision. If we rush it and build some negative associations then it will take longer. It is so important to take it slow and make every encounter as positive as possible.

If you can block off the area to the area he is in for now that is not the worst thing. And then only have them near a common door with supervision and distract as needed in a positive way. But with the door closed, no visual yet. And really only feed near that common door then separate if possible.

Please let us know if you have questions. It is very important to make positive associations and take it slow and only move forward if we have confidence we can.