Introducing New Kitten To Litter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The rescue that I am fostering for asked that we try to introduce a new kitten to our litter. When it came into shelter, they gave fluids under skin because so dehydrated.It appears to be +/-4 days older, so around 2 weeks.
I rubbed the kitten with the smell of the queen and the existing litter then put in nest. Queen smells it and 'spoke' to it when cried. The kitten found the wet food/kmr mix and ate. Then found Babycat kibble and ate.
Concern is: When queen licks the kitten, it bites her.
Is this something that will work out? Are we trying to do the impossible?

The calico is the one we are trying to introduce.
51684536207__F71D0642-763E-4DA3-B8FA-DB94B928158B.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has it been? It sounds to me like the queen has accepted the kitten, which is good, and that the kitten is getting adjusted.

If mama kitty is unhappy with the kitten biting her, she will probably let the kitten know.

Have you seen the kitten nurse yet? It's good she is eating though.

It sounds like it's working out. Give it time.

Thank you for fostering! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We introduced the new kitten little less than 4 hours ago. I have not seen it nurse. Anytime I place it towards a nipple it turns away.
After leaving them for a little while I did the nightly weighing. The new kitten is only 219 grams! Which makes it almost 30 grams lighter. I'll have to make sure it is eating well for a little bit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, definitely supervise and keep weighing. Hopefully the new kitten will decide to nurse soon as well.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The new seems to be a little older than the others. Esp if he already eats.... Him eating means foster momma wont want to swallow his wastes, as the consistence is different than in these pure milk ones... Still, she apparently takes care...

Peculiar the kitten doesnt wants to nurse. Momma is best so whatsa matter? Possibly it was handraised, and never nursed from an alive momma...

So you must be prepared to handraise it, but do have the help of an foster momma and siblings. Which is great!

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The new seems to be a little older than the others. Esp if he already eats.... Him eating means foster momma wont want to swallow his wastes, as the consistence is different than in these pure milk ones... Still, she apparently takes care...

Peculiar the kitten doesnt wants to nurse. Momma is best so whatsa matter? Possibly it was handraised, and never nursed from an alive momma...

So you must be prepared to handraise it, but do have the help of an foster momma and siblings. Which is great!
That explains why queen turns away when she sniffs the bottom of the new kitten.

Last edited:

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guess since it is calico it is probably female. She isn't crying as much. Doesn't seem to want the queen except to sit against probably for warmth. She will snuggle with the other kittens but moves when queen gets in. Very bloated. Based on mess in kennel she is starting to poop on own but I'm going to see if I can help. I'm going to hydrate some Babycat with KMR because she seems to have difficulty with dry kibble and keeps sticking her nose in straight KMR.
Not interested in nursing at all.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Queen has taken the kitten in. I made the mistake of leaving the kennel condo open while trying to poop the kitten. Queen took it away from me!! So I will be trying again and close the kennel door this time.
Still no signs of nursing. Though she was snuggled with the other kittens and queen.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soooo...if I get the kitten on a bottle with KMR, is it possible that the queen would start helping her potty? Since it will change the consistency. I don't think she is old enough to be eating the kibble without choking and doesn't seem to judge distances well (nose goes in the bowl of KMR/wet food). I'm concerned about her aspirating and getting it in her lungs. When I went the second time to potty her I prepared a bottle and she went after that.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds fine! She may take to wet food sooner than the others, but it does sound like what she really wants right now is milk (formula).

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet she was bottle raised before this. I don't understand why someone would turn her into the shelter, the hardest part is over. Mine did nose dives into the saucer of KMR often. I just picked them up and wiped it off, then put them back down. They would have to be inhaling at the exact moment of nose dive for them to aspirate and that is not a normal reflex. Not to mention, they wouldn't get much actually in the nose. So I wouldn't worry too much about that one. But, if she prefers the bottle, don't push the solids until she's ready. And remember, non clumping cat litter until they are 12 weeks old.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Re the kitten being bloated. It may be caused by several reasons, but one remedy which work in some situations is simethicone, the same as can be bought for babies, in the parent / babies section. A couple of drops is enough.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is nursing!!!!!
Regarding bloating/pooping, I don't see any evidence that she has found relief. She pooped yesterday on the rescue director and it was foul. So the rescue is thinking she has a bacteria infection. Director is going to bring some medicine for bacteria and bloating. Hopefully we can get her some relief!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good on both counts. I felt like the baby would eventually fit in and nurse mom. Mom's milk will help to settle her tummy over the next 24 hours.

I also agree that medication will help to resolve any bacterial issues.

This all sounds good! :lovecat2: