Introducing New Kitten Into My Home! Help! I Think My Cat Hates Me Now

Raybabiieex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been having some trouble with getting answers. It seems as though my current kitten hates me now that I brought home a new kitty. My current kitten coco is about 4-5 months old, male. He is not the only pet in the house. I have an older cat who is 5 years old as well as two dogs. The other animals don’t bother coco and I’m assuming it’s because they were here first. Coco and the older cat, mittens get along fine. They play and run around the house and all that. A couple of days ago a small kitten was dumped in my jobs parking lot by a woman and I decided to save her and take her home, it’s very cold out in Maryland this time of year, I wasn’t gonna let her suffer. She’s been to the vet and she’s totally healthy and about 6 months old. Now, she is very skittish and doesn’t seem to like any of the other animals she prefers to stay in her room or when she is let out, she likes to find a small corner to hide in. Coco isn’t really partial to her either though. He seems quite jealous. He hisses and seats at her if my boyfriend or I pet her. When she tries to smell him he hisses and vise versa. I understand that it will take some getting used to for them, Coco is the baby of the house. I’m just worried that bringing this new kitten home will break our bond. Coco and I are very close, he sleeps right next to me (between me and my boyfriend) follows me around the house, licks and nips my face, lays on my chest and rolls around- showing his belly. We are very affectionate with each other, I love petting him and holding him. However, he seems so weird now. He’s not quite as affectionate as normal. No licks or nips or anything like that, he’s even been hiding away upstairs even after I put the new one (buttercup is her name) back in her room. I’m not sure how to go about introducing them because mittens had no issues when we brought coco home. I also wonder if coco hates me now and if our bond is messed up in some way??

Please help, any thoughts or advice is welcome

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your bond with Coco isn't messed up at all - he's just stressed right now because of the kitten's arrival. This is very normal, so no need to worry overmuch. My girl was the same when I brought kittens home in the summer (and like you and Coco, we have a very close bond). It took a couple of months, but my girl is now back to her usual snuggly, playful self. The same will happen with you and Coco I'm sure - just relax and give him time.

Interactive playtime is a wonderful stress buster, and it will reinforce your bond with Coco too. Try setting aside some time each day to play with him, and be sure to give him the option of one-on-one cuddle time too. A little reassurance that he's still loved never goes amiss ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raybabiieex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raybabiieex3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your bond with Coco isn't messed up at all - he's just stressed right now because of the kitten's arrival. This is very normal, so no need to worry overmuch. My girl was the same when I brought kittens home in the summer (and like you and Coco, we have a very close bond). It took a couple of months, but my girl is now back to her usual snuggly, playful self. The same will happen with you and Coco I'm sure - just relax and give him time.

Interactive playtime is a wonderful stress buster, and it will reinforce your bond with Coco too. Try setting aside some time each day to play with him, and be sure to give him the option of one-on-one cuddle time too. A little reassurance that he's still loved never goes amiss ;)
Thank you for your feedback I’ve been worried to death that he’ll hate me forever haha