Introducing New Cats

Hannahernst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i just adopted a new cat today, a male who is 11 months old. I have a resident cat that i have had for almost 2 years and is a female who is just under 2 years old. I have brought the new cat home and put him in his own room for now, the cats have not seen each other. My resident cat is absolutely terrified of the new cat, every time he meows she freaks out and hides in a corner and hasn’t moved to eat or use the litter box in hours. I am curious if anyone else has had their resident be terrified of the presence of the new cat and how long it lasted before the resident cat became ok with the presence of the new cat? Is there anything anyone did to help the situation? i feel super guilty having my resident cat feel this way and her not wanting to move around her own space

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Congrats on the adoption of your new cat. :petcat:

I'll post the TCS articles on introducing cats, however, I'm not sure if they address the problem you're having with your female cat stressed out by the new cat's meowing. Hopefully members who've introduced cats, will reply with comments/suggestions.

Introducing Cats To Cats.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
Good luck. I hope before too long your 2 cats become best buds. :catlove: