Introducing New Cats To A Bonded Pair

Prompto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Hope I'm in the right place for a question like this - if not please excuse my new kid mistake and let me know!

I've got two three and a half year old cats, a bonded pair of sisters, and yesterday we brought home two new siblings - a pair of four month old brothers - and I'm hoping for some tips and tricks to get these four socializing smoothly.

So far things are going pretty well- we have the new kittens set up in a "base camp" where they feel secure, and the girls have the run of the majority of their territory as usual. We are feeding on opposite sides of the doors with minimal grumbling and attention paid to the other pair, and so far scent swapping is going well - both sets of cats have access to towels and socks the other cats have rubbed their scent glands against, and while there's a lot of curiosity there's no aggressive or stressed behavior going on during these exercises.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience introducing a new set of siblings to a resident pair - so far the advice I've read for single cat intros seems to be having positive results, but I want to help everyone stay as balanced as possible during this process. Any special tips for helping bonded pairs feel confident during the introduction process? Are there ways to use the strong sibling relationships already at play to the advantage of all the cats involved? Any tips, tricks or ideas would be appreciated!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for no response to your post. I have never introd a pair to a pair, but my advice is to follow the same process as introing any two cats. Go slowly with scent and then sight before face to face meetings. And don’t assume that each cat in the pair will react the same. When it comes to introductions I think it will be four cats meeting and not two pairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prompto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for no response to your post. I have never introd a pair to a pair, but my advice is to follow the same process as introing any two cats. Go slowly with scent and then sight before face to face meetings. And don’t assume that each cat in the pair will react the same. When it comes to introductions I think it will be four cats meeting and not two pairs.
Thanks so much! As we move into day 2, I'm definitely seeing four independent reactions emerge and different rates of adjustment in each cat, so I think you're very right that these will be introductions between four individual cats. I'm also finding that encouraging each set of cats to play together in proximity of the dividing door seems to be helpful - I'd like them to associate the scents of the new cats with good socialization and playtime as well as food and affection rewards. Keep your fingers crossed that our fuzzy little family stays on track!