Introducing A New Cat To A Mourning Cat

lchelling

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

To make a long story short, my dear old cat Simba who was 17 years old had to be put to sleep this last Monday. I have a 2 year old cat at home Finn who adored Simba like a parent cat and I feel will mourn his leaving us over the next few weeks. I have always intended to get another kitten/young cat to serve as a companion to rambunctious Finn but I had intended to give him some time to mourn and adjust to life without Simba, however my mother recently acquired a darling little 6 month old kitty, Pepper, and wants me to take her into my home by the end of the week. Do you think this is too soon? How can I help Finn adjust to a loss then an addition so quickly without stressing him out? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never introduced a new cat that quickly after the passing of the old. Though an introduction should be slow anyway, seperate rooms, with room and scent swapping for a period of time. Depends upon the cats but usually one week minimum to several weeks introduction. Try bringing items with the kittens scent from your mother's house before you bring the kitten, if you can.