Introducing A Kitten To A Home Already Own By Another Cat

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I am here to ask for some help about a kitten and introducing him into my home with my current cat Mipha.

Mipha is about a year and a half old female cat
My new kitten is only 6 weeks old.

I have had the new kitten for only a day, and I decided to do the usual thing of having one cat on one side of a door and the other cat on the other side. That door being the one to my bedroom. I have the kitten inside my bedroom with me while Mipha is on the outside.

It has only been one full day but Mipha is already incredibly agressive to my kitten even through a door. She will hiss when she can tell the kitten is near and even strike at the door and then immediately run away. I am unsure of how to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! I would recommend not continuing to proceed with the next steps of the introduction (such as scent exchanging, room swapping, meeting through a baby gate) until Mipha begins to feel more comfortable with the kitten’s presence on the other side of the door. It’s best not to rush introductions, and to let cats take them at their own pace. Feliway could help Mipha relax a bit. Also, something you could try is offering Mipha treats as positive reinforcement when she begins to show less aggression. I’ll attach a link to a helpful article that gives more info about the introduction process.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Follow that guide, but don't worry about the early going, it will likely be fine. For whatever reason, cats younger than 2 usually adjust to a kitten pretty well and there is even pretty good odds they will end up friends.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just looked at your earlier thread, where you were introducing Gwynevere to Mipha. Did things not work out with them? Or do you have 3 cats now?

Your new kitten, at only 6 weeks, is very young. These days the recommendation is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn cat manners. So your older cat(s) will have to help you teach your kitten manners.

Here's an article with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

And one on Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

and 9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! I would recommend not continuing to proceed with the next steps of the introduction (such as scent exchanging, room swapping, meeting through a baby gate) until Mipha begins to feel more comfortable with the kitten’s presence on the other side of the door. It’s best not to rush introductions, and to let cats take them at their own pace. Feliway could help Mipha relax a bit. Also, something you could try is offering Mipha treats as positive reinforcement when she begins to show less aggression. I’ll attach a link to a helpful article that gives more info about the introduction process.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Thank you for the guide and the help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mikenike33224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just looked at your earlier thread, where you were introducing Gwynevere to Mipha. Did things not work out with them? Or do you have 3 cats now?

Your new kitten, at only 6 weeks, is very young. These days the recommendation is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn cat manners. So your older cat(s) will have to help you teach your kitten manners.

Here's an article with more info: Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States

And one on Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

and 9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

Unfortunately no. I wasnt planning on getting a second cat after Gwynevere, but this one just kind of fell in my lap. It was either I take the little one or he gets thrown out on the streets so there is only one obvious decision.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you were able to rescue this little guy. :petcat: Good luck with the introductions. :crossfingers: Hope they become best buds soon. :catlove: