Instinct formula change — need recommendations

sierramist

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

We've had three of our cats primarily on Instinct chicken canned food (with Fancy Feast rotated in, plus Blue Buffalo kibble). I've learned they recently reformulated their recipe, and so far the reviews are not great. We're coming up on an autoship order for a new batch, and I thought we'd better start considering what food to switch them to if the new Instinct doesn't work out. From what I'm reading, the new recipe isn't an improvement (more calories/fat, different texture, etc.). See recent reviews here:

Original Chicken Wet Cat Food - Instinct Pet Food

INSTINCT Original Grain-Free Pate Real Chicken Recipe Wet Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Does have have experience with the new formula yet? In any case, I'm looking for recommendations on grain-free, high-quality wet food that is similar nutritionally with limited gums, no carrageenan, and so forth — at around the same price point. They LOVE Tiki Cat After Dark, but we give it as a treat due to cost.

Side note: we just adopted a stray kitten a couple of months ago who at 7-8 months old is currently on Wellness kitten wet food + Blue Buffalo kitten kibble, but she'll eventually move to the same food as the other three as well.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sucks. Their rabbit and duck are two of my girls’ favorites. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Happily there are plenty others they also like, but still.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry meant to also say that Instinct was my more reasonably priced brand. The others, Feline Natural, Ziwi and RAWZ etc cost more. But My girls also like Nulo and Farmina ND, and they have good scores on CatfoodDB and All About Cats.