Injection-site lumps that aren't sarcomas?

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anybody have any injection-site tumors that never really did anything scary? My cat got some kind of random cheap adjuvanted vaccine at a rabies clinic like 17 years ago before I had standards for that sort of thing, and he's had a lump there ever since. Going on 19, and it's all good, but all I ever find info on is injection-site sarcomas, which are far more scary. It's been tested, and it's never changed, and the vet says it's nothing to worry about. We all got lumps if you look hard enough!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my cats did get a lump at the injection site of a rabies vaccine, however, it never turned into a sarcoma, thankfully. Instead, it eventually disappeared, which the Vet said was likely to happen.

I'm so glad the lump on your cat has never changed into anything bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nartyteek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats did get a lump at the injection site of a rabies vaccine, however, it never turned into a sarcoma, thankfully. Instead, it eventually disappeared, which the Vet said was likely to happen.

I'm so glad the lump on your cat has never changed into anything bad.
He did have a big reaction when he got that shot, so who knows? He's collected his share of bodily oddities over the years.

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This thread interests me because my cat has a 1.5 x 3 cm lump on the left shoulder blade in the scapular area. My vet noticed it at her most recent check-up but I seem to recall her saying it's likely nothing of any great consequence. Upon doing some fruther research, however, I'm not certain on that. She's going to a clinic to have an abdominal ultrasound done and in reviewing her records that my vet sent over they read about it and suggested following up with additional radiology. I guess until that's done no way of knowing if indeed it is one of these injection-site sarcomas. Doesn't seem to bother her. I've touched it, pressed on it, and no reaction.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of swelling is completly normal because of the mechanical action of the needle, any time the skin or muscle is damaged swelling is the bodys reaction to increase bloodflow to the area.

This will feel like a hard lump and can range in size from the size of a bb to the size of a tennisball (uncommon but not unheard of)