Ingested Object

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello :) My cat Mocha ate a small rubber piece that broke off of a new toy two days ago, and she still hasn’t defecated it. She’s not lethargic and she’s very playful, her gums look fine, and she still has an appetite and is using the litter. She just threw up for the first time since the foreign object, and it was hours after she ate dinner today. I was wondering if anyone has seen their cats take longer than two days to pass a foreign object? I had called the vet and they said to keep an eye on her and if she declines, bring her in. I’m still very nervous and I’d like to know others’ experiences.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you seen the rubber peice in her vomit or poo? How large was it?

Someone from the adoption group had to get their kitten surgery from this but he ate a large peice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you seen the rubber peice in her vomit or poo? How large was it?

Someone from the adoption group had to get their kitten surgery from this but he ate a large peice.
She has not defecated it or thrown it up yet, but I’ve been keeping an eye on her. She’s showing no symptoms of being affected.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
milkyandmocha milkyandmocha Did you vet provide a laxative? There are some that can be provided over the counter, for an object that won't puncture. However, I think you should call and ask the vet office about this first. This can help it pass more quickly.

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
milkyandmocha milkyandmocha Did you vet provide a laxative? There are some that can be provided over the counter, for an object that won't puncture. However, I think you should call and ask the vet office about this first. This can help it pass more quickly.
The vet hadn’t mentioned a laxative option. I’ll have to call and ask to see if they suggest it. I’m not sure if the object will puncture, it was the end of a rubber tail on a mouse that broke within seconds of opening it (it’s from Hexbug, do not recommend!!). The tip of the tail mimicked a real mouse’s tail, it was pointed, but not sharp. It’s rounded off. There’s no fabric on the rubber or anything, so it’s a bit resistant. I do however feel like it’s definitely small enough to pass, especially since Mocha has eaten and passed a hair tie once before (I swear she loves the weirdest things!). I’m also hopeful because she’s shown no effects.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! One of these: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00SQXVF7A/?tag=

Yes there was a warning on the adoption group for a similar non electronic toy. We threw ours away as our cat is a chewer too. I would VERY much consider calling the company up and speaking to someone there. If it's a dangerous toy they should recall it and consider assisting with the vet fees.

let us know what the vet recommends! My vet gave my cat Restorilax 1/4 tsp twice a day. Miralax is the same. We got ours at a human pharmacy over the counter.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. I hope you have pet insurance with how she loves to eat things 🤣😭

Calcifer LOVES hair scrunchies so we had to get some big ones so that he wouldn't accidentally eat the little elastics. His recent love is paper straws.

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS. I hope you have pet insurance with how she loves to eat things 🤣😭

Calcifer LOVES hair scrunchies so we had to get some big ones so that he wouldn't accidentally eat the little elastics. His recent love is paper straws.
Thank you so much for your help!! I appreciate it. It’s tough being so worried about your cat even though they seem totally fine! It’s like you’re scared to blink and they decline. I didn’t get any sleep last night! Seeing your responses was very comforting, thank you. I’ll keep this posted updated! ❤

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woild go by how she acts. Her stomach acid may have dissolved it. If she is eating, drinking, using the litter box and acting alright, she is fine.
I didn’t even think of that being a possibility. I appreciate that outlook, thank you! Still keeping an eye on her and she’s been totally fine so far. She’s eaten well today, was very playful and loving as per usual, and she hasn’t thrown anything up, which is all good. I did check the litter and she hasn’t defecated yet today, but she has urinated. From my research, it takes about 24 hours for a cat to defecate, and it hasn’t yet been that long, so I’m not worried. Will be checking again. Thank you for your input!

milkyandmocha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
milkyandmocha milkyandmocha 💕 Keeping your floof in my thoughts. Hopefully easy peasy to pass.
She hasn’t yet passed the object, so I contacted the vet again about a laxative. The nurse said there’s no need to bring her in if she’s doing well and acting normally, but she still doesn’t recommend a laxative right now. I did give her some pumpkin today though, since it can help move stool without really being a laxative. We’ll see how she does with that! She’s been great today. You were so sweet so I figured I’d let you know :)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She hasn’t yet passed the object, so I contacted the vet again about a laxative. The nurse said there’s no need to bring her in if she’s doing well and acting normally, but she still doesn’t recommend a laxative right now. I did give her some pumpkin today though, since it can help move stool without really being a laxative. We’ll see how she does with that! She’s been great today. You were so sweet so I figured I’d let you know :)
I'm glad to hear it! 🤞 That this is all over for you both and you can relax in a few days. Maybe a few days with pumpkin 😹

Bonnie- Bonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, did your pet got to defecate the object? I’m afraid my cat ate a piece of Velcro but it’s acting normal