Information re Manx Cat Syndrome

JamiS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a Manx kitty earlier this year. She is 4 and is in great health. I have been reading about Manx Cat Syndrome and wondering if that is something that can develop in later years for a healthy Manx or is it something that they are born with so you know right away. While she is fastidious about using her litter boxes, I will find little nuggets every now and again. I can't tell if they are stuck and drop off after she is out of the box, or if they are just falling out of her randomly. Anyone have experience with Manx kitties?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is she a purebred manx or just a cat with a short tail or no tail?

If she is just a regular cat who happens to have little to no tail there is the chance it isnt caused by a manx syndrome. It could simply be that her tail was wrapped by her umbilical cord in utero and didn't form right. It could be mom accidentally bit it off at birth. It could be that it got squished and formed badly in utero (I've seen an xray on a cats whose tail looks short but the xray showed the bones made a lightning bolt shap under the skin, the vet thinks it was compressed against to side or another kitten when the skin grew over it).

If her movement is okay, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd probably get an xray of her spine just to reassure my paranoid self. As to the nuggets, if the fur around her rear is longer or she is skittish those can happen.