Info/thoughts on Vestibular issues?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy has a spot in the walk-in closet she's always liked to be in. This afternoon, I was handing out treats and went in to see if Lu wanted any. She looked up at me and I put a few down on the blanket she was on. She tried to eat one but the angle of the blanket caused it to roll away a bit. I reached down to get it and Lucy had turned her head from me. When I gave the treat back to her, she didn't turn her head back. Her turn was about a 90degree and not just a slight one. I talked to her telling her I put it back...but her head stayed. I called her name again and her head suddenly turned back but it was almost like it snapped back as it seemed she overshot it and it then went a bit to the other side before returning to the front. This kind of happened the other night when she was sleeping on me (video in another post). It was scary to see this happen AGAIN.

The vet told me yesterday it could be pain from her mouth. It could be vestibular. Reading about vestibular, though, it seems to focus on balance (on four). We have not seen any of this when Lucy has been up and moving. Can it be just with her head? Is this painful? Does it cause a quality of life issue? With all of this going on at once, I just don't know if I want to put her through all of this.... she's been through a ton already and it's just not fair to her or us if at 19 it would impact her substantially. Ugh. This is sooooo emotional for me and I want to do what is best for Lucy with the resources I have (they are drying up from a dollar standpoint...and it is terrifying me). Any info on this condition (or what else it could be) would be appreciated so I can make the best decisions for Lucy. ❤❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ETA.... She just had another episode while laying on me. She will stare with her head turned all the way and it's like she's frozen. Her paws are stretched all the way straight on my chest but when I try to raise her up to maybe "snap" her out of it, she's rigid. It's like her whole body just froze. What is this?! I'm completely freaked out:(

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may be having a sort of seizure, or she could be reacting to pain. It is impossible to know. I would be careful trying to move her when she does this. Of course, keep her safe. I have to also wonder if it is a neck spasm of some sort.

With dental pain I have seen cats' paw at their mouth, or sometimes make exaggerated chewing motions with their mouths.

You might want to get a second opinion unless this would stress her to much.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she still getting drops in the ears?
No. We are not doing that. The new vet told me a few weeks back that he did not see any polyps. I told him the old vet stated she would need a CT for a diagnosis of that. New vet told me it would be growing into her ear canal and he would've been able to see it. Do you think it's possible she could have one regardless? That is interesting to think about. I know anything that goes whack in my ear (excessive ear wax, infection, etc) it causes vertigo. The vet we saw Friday (they have 7 in the practice) prescribed a pain med for her but I was reluctant to use it because I didn't want to overdo it on her...but if it is pain and it goes away with the med, then we know what is causing it?

She a number of these episodes last night within minutes. She just freezes and everything goes rigid/stiff and her head turns to the far left. What REALLY hit me was when I put the palm of my hand in front of her face....close to her eyes. She didn't flinch.....not once. Didn't even BLINK. She twitched but didn't react/backup/turn from my hand in her face (I did not touch her....just got within millimeters). She went trance-like..zombie-like. Talk about SCARY!

I have come to the conclusion that if this is a totally new condition and not related to her mouth, I don't know if I could put her through it. WHY DO WE ALWAYS KEEP ADOPTING ONCE WE GO THROUGH TREMENDOUS HEARTBREAK?????? WHY???? The love we have for them is sooo strong and it hurts just wayyy too much :(

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Swaying head?
Is this an extension or worsening of what you posted in this thread or is this entirely new?

This sounds more like seizure activity from your description; however, it is hard to tell. Polyps can cause some of what you are describing and they may be visible upon examination, but sometimes to get a good look requires sedation, or a scan.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I don't know if it is worse? I just didn't see it that night...but I suspect it was there in the one video where I turn her head back...I just didn't take the time to let it play out on its own nor try and interact otherwise during it. I do not see this kind of thing at all when she is on her feet/walking/eating. It's really only when she is laying down.