Inflamed lymph node in neck

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After being out of the house for a few hours yesterday, I returned to find that my 7-month old kitty Juno had a bulge on her neck (at first I thought her neck was getting fat, but she's a skinny minnie). She just went to the vet and, though they said it was a swollen lymph node (only one side), they couldn't see an infection or an absess or anything that would point to the cause. I had them do a Chem something and CBC (?). I left with Clavamox.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this in a kitten or young cat. My mind is not immediately going to cancer, just because of her age 🤞

Attachments

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know the results of her blood work? That should help determine if the enlarged lymph node is infection related or something else. Also, did they by chance do an FNA (stick a needle in the lymph node) and look at cytology?

Hope your kitten is okay and wishing her a speedy recovery!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't have experience with this, but I was wondering what you're feeding her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know the results of her blood work? That should help determine if the enlarged lymph node is infection related or something else. Also, did they by chance do an FNA (stick a needle in the lymph node) and look at cytology?

Hope your kitten is okay and wishing her a speedy recovery!
I don't think they did an FNA. The vet didn't seemed terribly concerned. I don't think she was even planning on doing blood work until I asked. (This is a well-rated vet I waited on a wait list to get into).

Will have to see what the blood work says, though I'm supposed to start her on Clavamox right.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I don't have experience with this, but I was wondering what you're feeding her?
I'm feeding her Purina Pro kitten, wet in the morning and evening, and a little dry at other times. I do give her treats, including cooked chicken, but only in small amounts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she seems hungry, see if she wants more food. She's young enough, plus with fighting the issue, that she needs all the food she can eat :)

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she seems hungry, see if she wants more food. She's young enough, plus with fighting the issue, that she needs all the food she can eat :)
I started giving her more kibble during the day just to see if she would eat it, and she did, so I also increased the amount of wet food I give her. But this morning she only ate half of her food, which is unusual for her.

Because she's skinny, I assumed she was underweight, but the vet said her body condition looked fine. Although they determined her age based on her weight (that is, they decided she was younger than the rescue told me, because she weighed so much less than she should at that age). Once I treated her for tapeworm/giardia, she did fill out a little and her shoulder blades and hip bone are not so pronounced anymore.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor baby! Hang in there!
Hopefully she gets her appetite back soon :vibes::crossfingers:
She ate her full breakfast, so that's a good sign. And she took her meds last night no problem (she loves her Inaba Churu chicken and cheese). She still has a golf ball hanging off her neck, though....

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The good and bad news: blood work and urinalysis came back mostly normal. Slightly elevated white blood count, and concentrated urine suggesting dehydration. That last bit is weird because Juno drinks a lot and pees a lot.

The other urine update is that I found dribbles right outside the litter box today. This is the first litter box issue she's had. She peed in the box so it seems like incontinence of some sort. Can this be a side effect of the Clavamox? (Of course I've asked my vet too).

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found this tonight.

20201209_192605.jpg

Does it look like vomit? I'm assuming that's what it is, since it doesn't smell fecal, but I've never had a cat before and never seen Juno vomit. Not sure when this happened; I was in the same room with her almost all day. Could be from the Clavamox or the underlying unknown condition?? Poor kitty! Though she has been eating like normal all day and playing like the kitten she is.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just found this tonight.

View attachment 361700

Does it look like vomit? I'm assuming that's what it is, since it doesn't smell fecal, but I've never had a cat before and never seen Juno vomit. Not sure when this happened; I was in the same room with her almost all day. Could be from the Clavamox or the underlying unknown condition?? Poor kitty! Though she has been eating like normal all day and playing like the kitten she is.
It looks like Juno vomited a meal...and then ate it. (Yum. :)) Vomiting can be one side effect of Clavamox. Another side effect can be diarrhea so I don’t know why she might have dribbled urine. You said they did blood work. No signs at all of a possible UTI (urinary tract infection) or crystals?

Cats typically have a low thirst drive so if she drinks a lot, be sure to mention that to your vet. Two of mine drink a lot, but they’re 16 and starting to have kidney problems. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen my six-year-old drink! (I feed all wet food.)

Any more from your vet on that lump? If she’s not concerned, did she tell you what it might be or what might be causing it?

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like Juno vomited a meal...and then ate it. (Yum. :)) Vomiting can be one side effect of Clavamox. Another side effect can be diarrhea so I don’t know why she might have dribbled urine. You said they did blood work. No signs at all of a possible UTI (urinary tract infection) or crystals?

Cats typically have a low thirst drive so if she drinks a lot, be sure to mention that to your vet. Two of mine drink a lot, but they’re 16 and starting to have kidney problems. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen my six-year-old drink! (I feed all wet food.)

Any more from your vet on that lump? If she’s not concerned, did she tell you what it might be or what might be causing it?
I agree, you might want to let your vet know. How are things now?
I asked the vet about her drinking at the last appointment and that's what convinced her to do a urinalysis, which came back fine except highly concentrated.

The vet said that lymph nodes can get inflamed idiopathically, though I didn't find that very helpful, since to decide it's idiopathic we'd have to eliminate everything else. I've got a follow up appointment next week and I'm going try to go in armed with the right questions and insisting on the right tests.

It's still inflamed but maybe a little less so? Still planning to go for the follow up unless it completely goes down. Juno has been active and seemingly healthy (except the vomiting). No more dribbling. She has, though, been more demanding of attention this week and also more bitey.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I’m glad she has another appointment...and I hope that it continues to reduce in size! :crossfingers:

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Overnight, Juno peed right outside the litterbox, on the mat (and then managed to "bury" it by folding the mat in half, lol). There were two deposits in the box itself (also from overnight). I'm assuming this is related to what's wrong with her, but not sure how (e.g., just from stress or a direct symptom of what's wrong). I'm glad I already have an appointment next week.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, it could be either. Poor girl.

Until you and the vet find a solution, you might get some puppy pee pads to put outside the box where she’s peeing. One of mine sometimes pees over the edge and the pee pad makes clean up easy.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The swelling had gone down significantly. I can't really feel the lymph node anymore. No more pee mishaps since the last one. I'm inclined to cancel my vet appointment, since I don't think they can really help at this stage. Fingers crossed that this malady, whatever it was, is gone for good.