(Infected?) Spay incision and onesie made from stockings

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday (on day 5) my cats spay incision got bad because she started licking it. Vet was called and she said to put the cone on and use betadine on the incision. But she would always find ways to get the cone off and just hated existing in it in the first place. Now she is in a DIY onesie which is the best solution so far (we tried a lot, as its really hard to get an actual suit made for this where i live).

My concerne is that she still licks the area (the stocking doesnt really get wet on the other side) but the bacteria from her mouth sitting on the stocking could still be bad? Also the pus from the incision makes a really bad smell, its probably not a good thing to have it under cloth is it?

Sorry if the phrasing is not perfect.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, does the vet know the incision is seeping pus? If not call them and let them know, she probably should be on an antibiotic for an infection. She might also need something more potent than betadine to use topically.

Secondly, what kind of cone are you using? If not the soft or inflatable kind, I would get one of those and try it.

In so far as the DIY onsie, if you have to use it, you will need to take it off periodically to allow the area to 'air out', which means supervising her when she doesn't have it on. You can also insert a gauze pad over the incision and under the onsie to help collect seepage and prevent saliva from getting to the incision - changing it often.

Lastly, it might warrant a vet visit for them to take a look at it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, does the vet know the incision is seeping pus? If not call them and let them know, she probably should be on an antibiotic for an infection. She might also need something more potent than betadine to use topically.

Secondly, what kind of cone are you using? If not the soft or inflatable kind, I would get one of those and try it.

In so far as the DIY onsie, if you have to use it, you will need to take it off periodically to allow the area to 'air out', which means supervising her when she doesn't have it on. You can also insert a gauze pad over the incision and under the onsie to help collect seepage and prevent saliva from getting to the incision - changing it often.

Lastly, it might warrant a vet visit for them to take a look at it.
I sent the vet pics, she said its a matter to solve at home :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then you appear to be on your own, unless you consider another vet that might be more helpful. That is your call to make, but if it were my cat, I would seriously consider it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take an old pair of cotton leggings if you have them. Cut the leg out the length of the cat. Cut holes for the legs. Leave enough materiel in front of the front legs to make a mock turtleneck collar. So, the calf or ankle part of the legging will be at the neck.
So, now you have the two back leg holes. Leave enough materiel behind le legs and cut a small v into the side that will be on top, opposite the leg holes. Once she has this contraption on, at the v part you tie it in a knot. Think 1980’s tied shirt, but the knot will be on the back.

you have to be very careful that nothing will bind or rub anywhere because cats are so bendy, you don’t want them to get hung up.

it’s hard to explain on paper but it does work.

You have to use cotton, preferably white, but a light color will work. Make sureto check the incision visually every 12 hours. Is she on antibiotics?