Indoor/outdoor Dilema

JaneB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I recently joined this site so I could get others experience with their indoor/outdoor cats. Background: My neighbors sister moved in with him in 2013. She brought along 3 cats, all of which were allowed to roam freely. Almost immediately, one of the cats decided to adopt me and pretty much moved in with me. The neighbor was cool with this as she knew he was safe. In 2015, when the cat was 5 years old, the neighbor "gave" him to me. I put quotes around the word gave, as this cat has always been independent and had a history of leaving home environments he wasn't happy with. Over the last 3 years, our bond to each other has grown and I know that he is an extremely happy and healthy cat. He has a cat door, comes and goes as he pleases and 90% of the time, will come when I call him in for the night. But I worry about him! I've been slowly trying to get him to stay inside more and have tried the harness/leash-he just lays down in rebellion, I don't have a spot for a catio and as I live alone, he becomes distraught if I lock him in when I go to work. I am trying to allow him out just during daylight hours, but in Palm Springs it is still hot during the day and he isn't interested.

I know that there are dangers outside and that he will probably live longer if I force the indoor only issue, but I keep circling back to quality of life. He is now close to 9 years old and is miserable when I keep him inside. I keep reading in this forum that others have transitioned their outdoor cat to indoor and the cat is happy. I also read that other cats develop behavioral issues as they are miserable. I am so conflicted. I hate worrying about him when he's out and I hate seeing how distraught he becomes when I cage him in the house. I don't have an acceptable solution and I need to make a decision one way or another and make peace with it. Perhaps at his age and given his background, I should allow his happiness and freedom trump my worries.

I have read numerous posts from those that are strictly in the indoors only camp and I am very aware of the dangers outdoor cats face. I don't need to rehash these dangers, and am hoping to hear experiences from those that have/had indoor/outdoor cats.

Thank You!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know where you're coming from and I have a similar problem with one of mine. I have a Maine Coon and a Siberian that are strictly indoors and they're used to that. However, I rescued a moggie called Betty who's early life was as a stray being fed outside by a friend of ours. I think she's now hard-wired to be outside and when we've tried to keep her in, she gets distressed and I'm sure would become unwell if I forced the issue. Luckily I live on the edge of a park and she roams around there in relative safety. If we lived on a busy road, I would have to keep her in.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor/outdoor now. These are not my first cats, but they are my first indoor/outdoor. Mine love to go out during the day even when its 90+. They are sometimes less enthused at night, almost always uninterested when its raining/snowing and sometimes when there is snow on the ground. They are almost indoor only during the winter, but will usually ask to go out to go to the bathroom rather than use the boxes if it isn't actively snowing.

We live on a cul-de-sac and have a small bit of public land behind us, so I don't feel like traffic is such a huge deal. There was a fox for a brief period of time, and my cats would retreat to the house and scream; there were never any altercations. I think coyotes are a serious danger, but foxes *usually* are not unless there is a shortage of easier prey. There is at least one coyote in town, but I have never seen any close to my house. Coyotes clearly do eat cats, but I've never heard of the coyote getting a pet in my town -- there are rabbits and few predators, so perhaps he doesn't bother. The biggest thing I watch for is hostile cats -- there have been a bunch of different visitors over the last 6 years, and my cats will growl at all of them. Fortunately, my cats retreat to the house and yowl, and don't voluntarily mix it up, so in 6 years, we've only had one actual injury, an ear scratch, which did not require vet care, although it did heal with a small notch and some slight thickening.

All in all, I feel my cats are pretty safe outside. But there are many factors that go into this including my cats cowardly disposition, the fact they don't roam far, and the traffic and wildlife situations. Every situation and every cat is different though -- one poster described her cat Bubbles, who is eager to go after, and has killed, several foxes! And just in the last couple of days, a poster described letting his cat out for I think it was the first time overnight and having the cat receive a significant wound resulting in a $700 vet bill -- so I think you need to make the assessment yourself as best you can.

Conversion to indoor only is a short term PITA. If you never let them out, they should adjust or mostly adjust within a few weeks. In addition to whining, litterbox issues are possible.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JaneB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

Not sure if there will be anything helpful in it, but here's a short TCS article on The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
Thank you for the welcome Rubysmama! Yes, I did read this and find most of it to be basic logic. However it doesn't address the cats quality of life, it just addresses how long the human will have to be tormented :-) It also assumes that once the torturous period is over, everyone lives happily ever after.

Cats are known for their behavioral problems….urinating, spraying, scratching and destroying furniture. Examples of this can be seen when trying to find cat friendly lodging; they are few and far between. However, many dog friendly properties can be found. Dogs are domesticated and as everyone on this forum knows, quite different from cats. I believe cats have varying degrees of "instincts" that drive their behavior. My cat was originally adopted from a shelter as a kitten...don't know how he ended up there, he may have been the product of a feral momma. But his instincts are strong and he has been allowed outside for 9 years without injury. In the five years that I have had him, he has never gone missing. However, someday that may change and it would devastate me. I have a battle raging within, lol! BTW-this cat has zero behavioral issues. He has never once displayed any of the above behaviors. As he adopted me and I had never had a cat before, I was surprised by how mellow and sweet he was.

Thank you for the response Rubymama, is much appreciated!

JaneB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All in all, I feel my cats are pretty safe outside. But there are many factors that go into this including my cats cowardly disposition, the fact they don't roam far, and the traffic and wildlife situations. Every situation and every cat is different though -- one poster described her cat Bubbles, who is eager to go after, and has killed, several foxes! And just in the last couple of days, a poster described letting his cat out for I think it was the first time overnight and having the cat receive a significant wound resulting in a $700 vet bill -- so I think you need to make the assessment yourself as best you can.
Yes, I agree with all of the above. My cat is territorial and wouldn't back down from a fight. In some cases, this serves him well, but in others, not so much. Thanks for the response ARTNJ, appreciate it.

JaneB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know where you're coming from and I have a similar problem with one of mine. I have a Maine Coon and a Siberian that are strictly indoors and they're used to that. However, I rescued a moggie called Betty who's early life was as a stray being fed outside by a friend of ours. I think she's now hard-wired to be outside and when we've tried to keep her in, she gets distressed and I'm sure would become unwell if I forced the issue. Luckily I live on the edge of a park and she roams around there in relative safety. If we lived on a busy road, I would have to keep her in.
Thanks mightyboosh, I also feel my cat would become unwell if not allowed outside. Many times he stays close to the house, but at times, he roams too far. I'm sure you worry about Betty like I do my own.