Indoor/outdoor Cat Peeing On Things Inside

Stevord

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I have a 3 footed, half-tailed tortie that i rescued about 4 years ago now. Sarah is the best cat ever! She prefers being outdoors most of the day and night but will come in for food and attention from me (i work from my home often) and will sleep on the bed occasionally.

I have a litter box inside ready to go but she has never used it as she prefers to do her business outside. There is a pet door that she uses to come and go as she likes. She's never been restricted to the indoors.

On occasion, she has chosen to pee on a shoe, against an open door or on a piece of furniture. Fortunately, the floor is all tile so the clean up is pretty easy and isn't ruining carpet.

I can't figure out why she is doing that. She seems very happy and content and does not appear to be in any distress. She loves getting scratched by me and is affectionate with me. She always has food whenever she wants. She really has it good. Just can't figure out what is causing her to pee on things inside. It's not every day but it does seem like it might be happening a little more frequently lately. I have not had her in for a check up yet, but that is coming soon.

Any suggestions or further questions are gladly accepted. Thanks! Stevo

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think your idea about a vet check is excellent.
Have you tried adding a little unfertilized potting soil to her litter inside? Also, there are Cat attract litters available, and/or she might not like the litter you have. Try unscented, or sandier, or softer...
Best of luck!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with Furballsmom Furballsmom . You need a vet check, just to be sure there isn't some UTI going on, and...if she is accustomed to going outside, where "anywhere" is fine, coming in might be a bit confusing. I would definitely try some earth in her box. She's used to digging in dirt to do her business, so that might connect better.