Indoor Cat Wants Out!

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1.5 year old neutered male cat that lives indoors 99% of the time. I "walk" him on a harness for around 15 minutes every night and allow him access to the courtyard when we are home on weekends. He's recently discovered he can jump over our 6ft high fencing into the neighbors property. He's good about coming back when I call but now he wants to be outside ALL THE TIME!

He's taken to yowling by the back door every morning and night, and trying to claw his way out of the large dog crate that I've set up by the back door cat flap to allow him access to fresh air whenever he wants (we rent so I can attach a larger more permanent outdoor enclosure to the house). It's starting to stress me out as nothing I do seems to stop him. I try to distract him with a rotation of toys, pat's, treats or food but after a few minutes of distraction he's back at the door.

He's an only cat and we're out of the house 10 hours a day 5 days a week working. I'm afraid he might be bored and stressed. He had several windows to view the outside, a large cat tree, I rotate his toys, leave treats hidden around the house, play music and try to give him plenty of attention when we get home. He's VERY vocal for a cat and I'm afraid it's probably our fault for talking to him so much. It's probably our fault for letting him taste freedom too.

Is there anything else I can try to calm him, quieten him down and make him happy to stay inside?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's VERY vocal for a cat and I'm afraid it's probably our fault for talking to him so much.
Oh my goodness, please don't think that - having a talkative cat is a wonderful thing (well, --most of the time)! In addition, if for instance your boy has any Siamese in him he'll be a talker no matter what you do ;)

Bless your heart, it appears you're doing everything regarding working to help him feel better about the inside.
What about one of those large walk-in cages for him in the backyard, do you have room? Or even a mesh cat tent - they're smaller and you'd want to keep an eye on him...

Another cat buddy? I hesitate to suggest that since it sometimes can turn into a real rodeo but sometimes it works beautifully.

Otherwise, the only thing I could think of would be a calming product...
Here are some calming products, including diffusers and treats, there are even collars available that have numerous types of different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.
Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--Even prescription if nothing else, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (such as excessive grooming).

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My experience has been they get a taste of the outdoors and they never forget it or get over it. I would just look at my cats and say "not happening" and get a wand toy out or laser toy and distract them.

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my two cats. I wish I'd never taken them outside with me. Now they want to go outside all the time. It's so hard to get in or out the door without them rushing out. My boy Smokey can also jump our 6ft wall. He talks non stop as well! Maybe another cat for company might work? We have a catio and cat run, but they still try to get out. They make me feel bad for keeping them inside. Do you have a patio you can turn into an outdoor area for him? My husband put shade cloth around ours so they can sit out there.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to make a different suggestion. Instead of trying to distract him ignore his pleas and soon he will learn it does nothing to help him. As long as you continue to react to his cries he will continue as he is learning it works from you.

Instead, I would take him for longer walks, or more frequent walks. Even spending time with him outdoors. Also, play with him. Do the play thing with him until he is tired and exhausted and lays down. Your kitty is bored! He needs a workout and lots more activity. Once you find ways to fit more exercise for him into your schedule I believe you will have a much happier cat.

Wanted to add that at 1 1/2 yrs you have a young active cat. He is like a teenager that has energy to spare and then some. You have to find ways to work out off that energy of his and stimulate his growing brain. Over the years he will calm down more but for now you have a teenangel on steroids on your hands!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even spending time with him outdoors. Also, play with him. Do the play thing with him until he is tired and exhausted and lays down. Your kitty is bored! He needs a workout and lots more activity. Once you find ways to fit more exercise for him into your schedule I believe you will have a much happier cat.
Thanks. Aside from longer walks I'm not sure how we could spend MORE time playing with him and giving him attention, we wouldn't get time to eat, sleep or get anything done around the house if that was the case! Like I said we try to play with him every day with a rotation of toys but after a few minutes he's right back at the door, sometimes we manage 15 mins of play before he flops down panting, within half an hour he's straight back at the door or trying to claw out of his enclosure though!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! So, what about a walk-in cage, or a smaller mesh cat tent so your boy can have some time outside, but still with a certain amount of safety and somewhat hands-free for you?

I mentioned calming products in an earlier post, I don't know if that's the best idea in this case but it was the only other thing I could come up with to try and help you.

mrcatlover42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

If you think its a boredom problem, then i would recommend investing in toys that are safe to use without anyone around(no choking hazards etc).

Good Luck!

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have to ignore his pleadings to go outside. I know its hard and it won't stop overnight. It may take several days or weeks. Every time you give in he's won and will continue his behavior. You can't reward that behavior by giving in any way. While he is doing that behavior don't pet him, talk to him, play with him, go to him, do nothing. Ignore, ignore, ignore!!!

Anything you do for him during his pleadings will be like a reward for this behavior. When he has stopped then you can do whatever, but never during!

He will be persistent until he finally realizes he won't be rewarded for his behavior. You have to be stronger and more persistant than him or it simply won't work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matai88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I would love to get him a bigger enclosure but the cheapest quote I've had is over $500, that seems excessive to me :-/

I think it's a case of trying to ignore his begging and maybe try a calming product. Is Feliway any good for this kind of thing?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Feliway any good for this kind of thing?
It might be, it depends on the cat.
Composure is a product to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, and Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy.
--There is even prescription if nothing else, --Gabapentin is good for travel, amitriptyline can help with general anxiety and OCD (like excessive grooming).
Here's a thread that talks about a number of products
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat