Incredibly Vocal 7 Week Old Kitten

Cookifa

owner of the blue-eyed wierdo
Kitten
Purraise
hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with one of my 7-week-old kittens, Dobby.

Starting about a week ago, Dobby became incredibly vocal whilst using the litter tray. I initially put this down to the fact that his sister had abandoned him and gone off to terrorise the rabbit, but it has continued on.

Every time he needs to use the litter tray he is very vocal and sounds like he could be in pain. He is perfectly healthy and it's eating and drinking as he should be, and mum is in the process of weaning him as can be expected. His only visible problem is his lack of a tail (he was born without it and seems very confused as to why his sister has a portable toy and he doesn't).

I have noticed that while using the litter tray he seems to shake, as soon as he has finished his business he stops crying and shaking and goes off to be a mountain climber or to terrorise people trying to climb the stairs.

I am just a bit confused as to what could be the problem because he does not appear to be constipated or have any other issues and I don't want to trek out to the vets just yet if it's just how he is. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cookifa

Kitten
Purraise
That is not normal at all. You should definitely schedule a vet visit!
Thank you! I managed to track down some pumpkin purée, so I'm going to try him on that for the next week or so to see if he may just be constipated. My only problem is that the nearest vet is over 20 miles away and I don't own a car. If he doesn't get better I'm going to have to enlist my brother as a chauffeur!

Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he better before, or always done this? A lack of a tail may have resulted in damaged/lack of nerves too back there, since the tail and it's nerves are tied in with urination and defecation. He may just have to try a little harder to empty his bowel, or it may be painful. I've had babies cry out while going too, and they turned out fine, I never did find out why. As long as eh IS going, that is good, see if it is harder then normal and if it is, call your vet and see if you can give him a tiny amount of Miralax. On a kitten that young I would definitely consult a vet. You might try to video him going if you can, it helps tremendously in evaluating what is going on. All the luck!

Cookifa

Kitten
Purraise
Was he better before, or always done this? A lack of a tail may have resulted in damaged/lack of nerves too back there, since the tail and it's nerves are tied in with urination and defecation. He may just have to try a little harder to empty his bowel, or it may be painful. I've had babies cry out while going too, and they turned out fine, I never did find out why. As long as eh IS going, that is good, see if it is harder then normal and if it is, call your vet and see if you can give him a tiny amount of Miralax. On a kitten that young I would definitely consult a vet. You might try to video him going if you can, it helps tremendously in evaluating what is going on. All the luck!
He was perfectly fine up until about 4-5 days ago, it started roughly when i changed the food that they were on from Felix to Whiskers, maybe i should change them back? He is still going, but it just takes him a lot longer than it used to do. I think I'm going to ring the vets and see what they suggest. Thank you for the advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like the food change is causing constipation. Has the pumpkin helped?

Cookifa

Kitten
Purraise
Where did you get these little guys?
They were accidently home red

We have a tom cat that the vet advised cannot be castrated because of how ill he was as a baby (it left him with internal damage so the survival rate for him is quite low).

Cookifa

Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like the food change is causing constipation. Has the pumpkin helped?
It has!

He's no longer crying while trying to use the toilet and is back to his usual self. As well as the pumpkin, we changed them back to Felix and he's more than happy now!

I'm sorry for the late replies and thank you for all the help! :)