Incomplete rectal prolapse?

Jasmine1234Iloveyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I got my cat Jasmine from a shelter a month ago. What I know from the shelter is she is three years old and came in with a litter of kittens. Since taking her home she has already had some bloody diarrhea which the vet prescribed antibiotics and that cleared up. I have since changed her food and her poop has seemed normal for the most part, sometimes is on the softer side. The other day when she was using the bathroom I saw a red tube of tissue while she was pooping. It goes right back in after she is done using the bathroom as soon as she stands up it’s gone. I’m not sure how long this has been happening since I have only had her for a month. She has a vet appointment for tomorrow to get this looked at but I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this I can’t find much information online. The vet on the phone said they don’t usually do surgery unless the rectum is fully prolapsed. She is on a mostly wet food diet and I give her small amounts of limited ingredient dry food twice a day. The first picture is of her but since I was not able to get a good photo I found an identical photo to what it looks like online. She has a great appetite is still super playful and doesn’t seem like she is in pain?

thank you everyone

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for adopting Jasmine and giving her a new life. There are numerous threads here on TCS about rectal prolapse.
Search Results for Query: rectal prolapse
However, this condition can run the gamut from less to more serious, so try to remain calm until you see the vet and determine exactly what is going on. What the vet said, that surgery is not the first option, is correct.

If the tissue goes back inside after the bowel movement, that is a good sign. While it has to be investigated by the vet, if there is a prolapse it can be easily corrected at this stage. However, they can progress to something more complicated, so going to the vet now is the right thing to do.

There are various causes and giving birth is considered to be one of them. The fact that Jasmine seems fine is a good sign. Please let us know what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasmine1234Iloveyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Thank you for adopting Jasmine and giving her a new life. There are numerous threads here on TCS about rectal prolapse.
Search Results for Query: rectal prolapse
However, this condition can run the gamut from less to more serious, so try to remain calm until you see the vet and determine exactly what is going on. What the vet said, that surgery is not the first option, is correct.

If the tissue goes back inside after the bowel movement, that is a good sign. While it has to be investigated by the vet, if there is a prolapse it can be easily corrected at this stage. However, they can progress to something more complicated, so going to the vet now is the right thing to do.

There are various causes and giving birth is considered to be one of them. The fact that Jasmine seems fine is a good sign. Please let us know what happens.
Thank you! This is my first cat and in the last month she has gotten an antibiotic shot after her spay and has been on antibiotics for diarrhea. I am so worried and don’t want to overload her system with medication. She is also on a ring worm topical because we just got skin testing back on her that she has some ring worm as well. My poor baby has been through so much I am glad I caught this early so it can be taken care of. I will keep you updated unfortunately the shelter didn’t do a great job at making sure she was in good health before sending her home.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How to Deal with Ringworm in Cats [Inc. the Housecleaning Regime] - TheCatSite
This article has a lot of information about dealing with ringworm. It is also a common topic here, so there are threads as well in the various forums.

If you got her from a city or county shelter, most are struggling to deal with all the animals who are brought in and so health screening is not at its best. Yes, it should be better. Out here in Los Angeles county, for example, more shelter animals are euthanized than any place else in the country, so I think that they try to save whomever has a chance at a home. I assume that it is the same elsewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasmine1234Iloveyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all this is a late update but after months of trying new diets and supplements we have her on a limited ingredient diet from smalls and add in psyllium husk fiber and her poop has been consistent and no more prolapse that I’ve noticed while defecating!! Thank you all for your input! I got a new little kitty who also has some GI upset so now we are tending to him:( but luckily my big girl is all better!