Incisor Way Too Long?

olivemew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm really stressed out. My kitty Olive, who's going to be 6 later this year, has one really abnormal looking tooth. One of her incisors is huge, and I swear it's getting bigger. I tried touching it and it does seem loose. but it's almost the length of her kitty fangs. It's only one.

She doesn't seem to be in pain and she didn't cry or get upset when I opened her mouth to inspect it (just vaguely annoyed at me, as cats get) she seems to be living as normal as possible...

Has anyone heard of this?? is it possible for a kitty tooth to just grow and suddenly keep growing? I lost my little boy kitty last month and I absolutely cannot take any more heartache. I also don't want to stress her out by taking her to a vet if I don't HAVE to, she is so skittish and scared of things she's not used to...

If anyone knows anything that'd be great. The rest of her mouth seems to be just fine.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it isn't a canine tooth that is longer and loose?
I have seen other cats with a longer canine and eventually they lost it.
In the last weeks I have noticed the same thing in my cat, her upper right canine is a bit longer than the other one, but so far I haven't seen it moving or getting loose.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would doubt it is actually getting bigger. Teeth are as big as they get when they come in. That is why a child's teeth look huge, they are the permanent adult sized teeth. They can APPEAR to get bigger when the gum pulls away from the tooth. Check that by comparing both sides and seeing if one gum line is higher than the other.It's possible that one tooth did come in bigger than the rest. If that happened, it may push the teeth next to it out of alignment.That takes time though.
If the cat is in no pain, eats normally and has no drooling just mark it on your calendar to have it checked the next time your cat goes in for her vaccinations.

redactedArachnid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering what your vet ended up saying about this? My cat has had what sounds like the same issue, and I haven't found anything else online that sounds similar

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering what your vet ended up saying about this? My cat has had what sounds like the same issue, and I haven't found anything else online that sounds similar
This post is several years old. I would make a new post to get better views and answers.