Incision of PU surgery after one month

Alberico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, this is my first thread here. I am just too frustrated about the not fully recovered incision and need others cat owners to tell me what to do o_O

Tsui Mai is my 2y/o male cat who just underwent PU surgery after three major urinary blockages in a year. we decided to have PU surgery on 7 sep which was already one month ago. The whole process is good and his urination is doing good too. The suture was removed 14 days later and we were told the incision was not yet fully recovered since then and needed another 7 days to heal.
However, the incision which is slightly upwards the uthera is still not fully recovered today (after more than 1 month) which prevents him from taking off the e collar.

Since we were afraid there was any infection that affects the recovery , we brought him back after last Friday and the vet examined and said he is doing great and we just need to wait for another 7 days to heal....
The vet even told me it is ok to take off the cone but just need to bring him back if he over grooms and gets infection from that. I took him back and allowed him to clean himself a bit on that night. After just a few licks, I saw blood bled from it and decided to keep him wearing the cone for another 7 days.

But the incision never fully recovered and still have the pinky, kinda flashy bare skin incision after the scarring tissue tore off naturally after a week.
PXL_20221011_101713162.jpg

I am so upsetting to see my boy wearing the cone for almost two months and having limits in climbing up and down from us. I just wonder if there are any cat owners here have gone thru the whole PU recovery stage and tell me how long do I have to wait? What should I do the speed up the process? Is it normal to have unrecovered incision one month after suture removal?
Thanks a lot,, PXL_20221009_225516189.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I am sorry that you are having concerns after proceeding with a surgery which you hoped would help your cat.

Search Results for Query: PU surgery
You might look over some of these recent posts regarding PU surgery. There are various discussion about healing. Member Stargirl0623 Stargirl0623 posted in detail about her experience.

I have never had a cat who had PU surgery, so am not one to give first hand advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alberico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I am sorry that you are having concerns after proceeding with a surgery which you hoped would help your cat.

Search Results for Query: PU surgery
You might look over some of these recent posts regarding PU surgery. There are various discussion about healing. Member Stargirl0623 Stargirl0623 posted in detail about her experience.

I have never had a cat who had PU surgery, so am not one to give first hand advice.
Thanks for the help! I have read some of the threads and seems their cats healed in around a month 🥺 I think I just need to wait a bit longer. We still need to supervise him closely because of this and it's quite stressful. I hope everything goes back the where it is before ASAP.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are trying very hard to take care of your cat, have allowed him to have a surgery which would have been optional for some cat owners, and have paid a lot of money for it. Keep supervising him, but also stay in touch with your vet about any concerns. Please let us know what happens. PU surgery is brought up here on a regular basis and your experiences may help others.

I hope that your cat, who is quite the looker, recovers very quickly.