In the market for a new computer....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here you go, Cory; this is what I've been reading: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/02/windows-10-automatic-install/ That's just one place where I read about it. I also read that people won't have much of a choice. It will just upgrade during an update.

Win10 would simply be available when you update your computer. Starting with Win 7 and then Win 8, and then finally 8.1. 

And....Win10 will be a free upgrade, according to what I've been reading. Simply because so many people are furious about 8.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Custom built, is that when you go shopping with a list of what you want in your new computer and just tell them what you want?  I pretty much have a list of exactly what I want, I may look into that if it doesn't cost a fortune.  My first choice would be Dell since I'm used to them.  I will look into HP also, no matter what, I want Win. 7.  I also realized that I will need besides Excel the Word program.  I have both now.
The two websites I know where you can tell them what you want is NestEgg and Tiger Direct. I ordered one from TD years ago. I called and told them what I wanted and what I was going to do with it and they priced how much it would cost and built it for me and delivered it to my house. Of course that was WELL over 10 years ago. I'm not sure how they do it now.

You could also check with some of the computer repair shops about building you one. A lot of them rebuild them and sell them. Let them know what you want and they can usually put it together.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Here you go, Cory; this is what I've been reading: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/02/02/windows-10-automatic-install/ That's just one place where I read about it. I also read that people won't have much of a choice. It will just upgrade during an update.

Win10 would simply be available when you update your computer. Starting with Win 7 and then Win 8, and then finally 8.1. 

And....Win10 will be a free upgrade, according to what I've been reading. Simply because so many people are furious about 8.
Thanks for linky. I am really quite baffled, I feel like I'm missing something really obvious. I think what might make more sense is that the automatic upgrade is for the consumer lines... I highly doubt the enterprise upgrade path is similar due to reasons I mentioned above.

For users who are looking to upgrade, this is actually a pretty nice thing -- just click through Windows Update and poof you have a brand new OS. Cuts down on a lot of the headaches with the traditional "get a bootable DVD or USB and install from there, then click through all the answers wondering what each option does." On the consumer side, I think this might increase adoption rate, together with the free-for-the-first-year-after-launch incentive.

But I for one do not want my thing to be automatically upgraded. I want to choose when and how to upgrade. I've had installations fail halfway before, and where would my data and cat videos and cat pictures be? I at least hope that it's an option, like how WinUpdate lets you choose whether or not to automatically install updates.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
So I'm not reading it correctly? That it won't automatically do an upgrade during an update? I'd like to know about it first before I do an update. But it sounds like the upgrade will be done first during the update. And then you have to download some files to help with the rest of it? Does that make sense? Everything that I've been reading makes it sound like it will be done during a regular Windows Update.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just got through talking to a guy at the shop where I took my laptop to be fixed. He said that 10 looks a lot more like 7 and that if you have 7 or 8 the upgrade will be free.  They have a beta version on a machine there, but I didn't get to see it.

As far as I know, you can still get Windows 7 from Dell, but you pay more.  Also saw some Lenovo laptops advertised with Windows 7.

I've always had Dell desk tops and Lenovo ThinkPad laptops.  I only ever had problems with one Dell being a bit of a lemon, so I keep going back.

We have HP desktops and laptops at work. I don't have a laptop, but the desktop seems fine.  I've heard that they really aren't that good as a brand though. I know we had the printer, and DH has vowed to never get another HP.  We have an Epson printer now.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So I'm not reading it correctly? That it won't automatically do an upgrade during an update? I'd like to know about it first before I do an update. But it sounds like the upgrade will be done first during the update. And then you have to download some files to help with the rest of it? Does that make sense? Everything that I've been reading makes it sound like it will be done during a regular Windows Update.
I think you can disable the automatic updates?  And maybe choose if you want it to run the upgrade?  I have Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop and I do NOT want them automatically updated until I know more about this operating system.  I really hate having Microsoft do my thinking for me.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a laptop that I don't use because itddrives me mad. However the battery has gone so if I do use it it has to be plugged in all the time. I can't get a new battery here. How much do they cost. I've forgotten the make of said laptop.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I like Dell. I know a lot of people who don't, but I still like Dell. At work, we used to use Gateway, but switched over to Dell with our new computers, so I have a Dell at work, too. We're now on our fourth (maybe fifth) Dell computer and, other than a fan that I replaced and the hard drive/motherboard issue that we had a couple years ago on the old Vista machine, we've been satisfied. Things happen sometimes, you deal with it and move on. 

As for updating, I'll see how it goes. Right now I have everything set to automatically run and install important updates and leave the optional updates to me. I go through them and say yes or no. I wouldn't be adverse to trying Windows 10 anyway....maybe we can try it on one computer and see how it goes. I don't know.

Carol (LaRussa) is running an old XP system and while it was fine for a long time, it has seen better times and she does need a new system. It's old and slow and has been giving her fits now for a while.

Many 
 that you can find what you need, Carol!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally found the Dell computer I wanted but it wasn't so easy.  I went to Best Buy first, they had only one with Windows 7 but I didn't like what was in it.  I was looking for specific things.

Next I went to Office Depot, had only one Win. 7 and didn't like that one either.  By this time I was very disappointed, they are all trying to sell you the 8 and 8.1. 

Last stop was Staples and lo and behold, I talked with the salesgirl who got on her computer and found everything I wanted in my new Dell.  I didn't order it yet, I first had to talk with a friend and that friend is someone we all know, Pam.  She helped me with my very first and only Dell back in 2006. 

Pam gave me a thumbs up altho I did spend more because I'm having them install everything for me.  Anyway I just can't deal with that plus I'm getting Excel and Word added, it comes in a package with a couple of other things including Outlook Mail.

Thanks everyone for your input, I will be ordering this computer today or tomorrow.  I'm still in shock, lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Carol (LaRussa) is running an old XP system and while it was fine for a long time, it has seen better times and she does need a new system. It's old and slow and has been giving her fits now for a while.

Many 
 that you can find what you need, Carol!
Thanks Pam and for your continued help which is still ongoing :-)