In Search Of More High Quality Affordable Wet Food

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried American Journey with two, one walked away the other barely ateit and he eats ANYTHING you put in front of him. I didn't like that it had cranberries in it,maybe they did too.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the ziwi peak and later realized at least the recipe I got had peas, so it's personally a no from me.
I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have grains or chickpeas. I'm curious. Are you opposed to the presence of chickpeas simply because they are unnecessary for the cat's diet?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I will give the Tiny Tigers a try with my new kitty-the pate type seems easier for them to eat than the chunks. chewy has them 50% off at checkout for the 12.99 pack of pate-I didn't spend enough to get free shipping but taking some money off is a plus..will see if fussy cats will eat it.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man, I really wanted to cash in on the Tiny Tiger deal, but even their fish based recipes have chicken, which is a no go because one of my guys is super allergic. I'm currently feeding that particular cat a mix of Tiki and Whole Hearted. He's getting kind of tubby so I'm trying to figure out how to mind his allergies while also putting him on leaner food. Any advice would be great. I'm trying to stick to wet food with dry food only in a puzzle feeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have grains or chickpeas. I'm curious. Are you opposed to the presence of chickpeas simply because they are unnecessary for the cat's diet?
Legumes have been linked to DCM in dogs due to blocking taurina absorption, and it's believed that they may have similar effects on cats, but the research hasn't been done yet, so I prefer to avoid them. They also aren't necessary and I do try to avoid unnecessary ingredients.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legumes have been linked to DCM in dogs due to blocking taurina absorption, and it's believed that they may have similar effects on cats, but the research hasn't been done yet, so I prefer to avoid them. They also aren't necessary and I do try to avoid unnecessary ingredients.
Yes to all of that! Ingredients like chickpeas are a very, very poor substitute for meat protein.

The new Fancy Feast Natural pates don't have artificial flavoring or coloring. Our cats like the chicken and the beef.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes to all of that! Ingredients like chickpeas are a very, very poor substitute for meat protein.

The new Fancy Feast Natural pates don't have artificial flavoring or coloring. Our cats like the chicken and the beef.
I've looked at those, I just feel like I have enough pates in my rotation and am trying to find affordable shreds, but it seems shreds are more expensive. So far miko and against the grain chicken and cheese are the best I've been able to find.

Rosepud

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man, I really wanted to cash in on the Tiny Tiger deal, but even their fish based recipes have chicken, which is a no go because one of my guys is super allergic. I'm currently feeding that particular cat a mix of Tiki and Whole Hearted. He's getting kind of tubby so I'm trying to figure out how to mind his allergies while also putting him on leaner food. Any advice would be great. I'm trying to stick to wet food with dry food only in a puzzle feeder.
Have you tried rawz? Also instinct rabbit and beef I believe are chicken free, they unfortunately have peas but if you're struggling to find allergen free foods those would likely work.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast isn't terribly expensive, and all cats seem to like it. But that can be a problem in itself. In my experience, it seems cats get addicted to Fancy Feast. Two of my three cats have to be dragged screaming and kicking to eat anything else, and that's a big problem for the one that has kidney disease.