In Search Of A New Litter

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys;

I adopted my first cat a month ago, my family told me to stay away from a few liters due to smell and the cat that I grew up with having bad reactions to it. After going through some reviews I purchased a bag of Worlds Best Cat Litter and it worked for Harlow. I took her to the vet for her shots and she recommended that I change the litter as it was a little to dusty for Harlow. I went through some more reviews and bought Sanicat - but that too seems to have about the same amount of dust as World's Best. I'm thinking of trying Okocat, I haven't found a bad review of that yet.

Are there any clumping non-dusty litters you would recommend? If you use the Okocat brand, is it worth it for the long haired variant, or is there really no difference?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use the Okocat long hair with a short hair cat just because it tracked less. I would say it’s worth it to use the long hair one if you want to minimize tracking because the regular one tracks like crazy. If you’re going to go with the regular one I would suggest getting a grass litter instead. The okocat is still dusty, but grass litter seems to have the least amount of dust. Its only drawback is the tracking. I guess my advice is, if you care a lot about tracking, get okocat long hair, if not, get a grass litter.

Edit: if you have a longhair cat I would definitely go with the okocat longhair. The longhair version is pellets rather than wood shavings so they won’t stick to the hair as much.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys;

I adopted my first cat a month ago, my family told me to stay away from a few liters due to smell and the cat that I grew up with having bad reactions to it. After going through some reviews I purchased a bag of Worlds Best Cat Litter and it worked for Harlow. I took her to the vet for her shots and she recommended that I change the litter as it was a little to dusty for Harlow. I went through some more reviews and bought Sanicat - but that too seems to have about the same amount of dust as World's Best. I'm thinking of trying Okocat, I haven't found a bad review of that yet.

Are there any clumping non-dusty litters you would recommend? If you use the Okocat brand, is it worth it for the long haired variant, or is there really no difference?
I’m a big fan of Dr. Elseys cat litter and it really doesn’t seem to be very dusty but I do have to say, I’ve only tried 2 other brands so I don’t have a lot to compare to.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Dr. Elsey too. It clumps really well and tracks less than lighter weight litters but I found it to be quite dusty. I expect that the amount of dust must vary from batch to batch though.

Honestly I feel like grass litter is perfect except for the tracking. :(

Zima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys;

I use the pine nuggets for horse bedding. Very cheap and biodegradable plus smells good. 50lbs for a few bucks it can be found at a tractor supply...maybe Wal-Mart or where ever farm stuff is sold.

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have used Dr. Elsey too. It clumps really well and tracks less than lighter weight litters but I found it to be quite dusty. I expect that the amount of dust must vary from batch to batch though.

Honestly I feel like grass litter is perfect except for the tracking. :(
Ah oops I apologize for suggesting it then! Perhaps it’s time for me to try some different ones!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah oops I apologize for suggesting it then! Perhaps it’s time for me to try some different ones!
I think if it’s working for you and you’re happy with it then there’s no need to change. For clay litters, I think Dr. Elsey is one of the best. If you find that it’s a bit too dusty for your liking then there’s other options you could try for sure.

Zima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think if it’s working for you and you’re happy with it then there’s no need to change. For clay litters, I think Dr. Elsey is one of the best. If you find that it’s a bit too dusty for your liking then there’s other options you could try for sure.
I forgot but arm and hammer makes a corn cat litter to...works good

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot but arm and hammer makes a corn cat litter to...works good
Corn and wheat tend to be dustier than even clay. They are also common sources of allergies so may not be good for pets with respiratory issues.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that hacks like crazy if there is any dust in the litter :(
best i have found, and i use all 3, i have 5 boxes :)

Grass based litter, i use either abound that i get from kroger, or pioneer pet i get from chewy

Litter maid walnut litter that i get from walmart.

The only Dr. elsys litter i will use, but this one is actually dust free, i love it so do the cats. The crystal respiratory relief.
Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag my cats wont use the long hair, the crystals are a lot bigger, and i guess hurt their feet. I find all of the clay litters to be too dusty.

I did use okocat for a while, but i found it was often way to dusty.

another thing i found that helps. scooping litter tends to break it up, so i try to be gentle with it :) I have 1 scoop that i love a lot. easy to use, no shaking it around to get only the clumps. and i do think it keeps my litter cleaner, and dosent break it down as fast.

Last edited: