Impending birth and male cat

Rachel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat started leaking clear fluid at 6.30 last night. So sure active labour not too far away. I've set up various nests in the room I'd ideally like her to birth in but knowing Nala it will be somewhere else in the house totally unsuitable haha!
I know the advice is generally to shut her in a room to ensure delivery is there but she hates being shut in and has always got distressed if ever shut in anywhere even before being pregnant.
Which brings me to my point of concern, my other male cat. Last night as we were unsure if she would deliver whilst we were asleep we put him outside. He is a cat that likes to be out. Sometimes walks in one door, eats and out the other 🤣 But it's forecast to be very cold next couple of nights so feel mean putting him out too much. If he chooses to go out that's on him haha!
Once kittens are born will hopefully be able to move them where I want as that's the room I work from so I can monitor and let Mama out when she wants etc.
But any advice on dealing with an extra cat in the house would be gratefully recieved. I have read lots but nothing beats personal experiences.
Sorry for long post and thanks in advance x

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do hope once the kittens are born, she will be more happy with staying with them in the same room. Minding their safety and protection is important for almost all moms...

How is this with the other cat? ARE they good friends or not? IF they are good friends, he is probably no threat, and no real problem.
Is he neutered? If not, there is some danger of her getting preg anew.... Cats arent protected by nursing.

So, the question is; if he is neutered and they are good friends, its no real problem.

IF not, they you must think out some system to separate them two...

If she wishes to strech her legs sometimes, perhaps keep them in one base room, and let them get access to the house in alternating hours?
When one is kept inside hishers room, you may let out the other.... And vice versa.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rachel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do hope once the kittens are born, she will be more happy with staying with them in the same room. Minding their safety and protection is important for almost all moms...

How is this with the other cat? ARE they good friends or not? IF they are good friends, he is probably no threat, and no real problem.
Is he neutered? If not, there is some danger of her getting preg anew.... Cats arent protected by nursing.

So, the question is; if he is neutered and they are good friends, its no real problem.

IF not, they you must think out some system to separate them two...

If she wishes to strech her legs sometimes, perhaps keep them in one base room, and let them get access to the house in alternating hours?
When one is kept inside hishers room, you may let out the other.... And vice versa.
He is neutered. So that's not a concern.
They do cohabite nicely. But since coming out of kitten hood that is really it. They don't groom each other or do anything that I'd say makes them friends as such.
I know he's a bit of a brawler when outside 🤣 My concern is him with the kittens as I have no way to predict how he will respond to them on his territory.
The advice online is quite conflicting. Everything from they will be fine to keep him away from kittens for 2 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest your male stay away from the kittens until they are weaned (6-8 weeks), then supervise him around them. Male cats can be totally disinterested, aggressive, or well-meaning but too rough.

Also, definitely keep mom and kittens separate from the male cat, beginning with when she goes into labor.

As for your male and cold weather, will he stay closed in a room for the night?

R Rachel77

Last edited:

Rachel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest your male stay away from the kittens until they are weaned (6-8 weeks), then supervise him around them. Male cats can be totally disinterested, aggressive, or well-meaning but too rough.

Also, definitely keep mom and kittens separate, beginning with when she goes into labor.

As for your male and cold weather, will he stay closed in a room for the night?

R Rachel77
Thank you for your advice regarding my male cat.
But why do you suggest keeping mother and babies apart? Surely that will distress all of them?
I've never heard of this before? X

Rachel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah sorry it all got a bit confusing... re read and understand... keep male away until weaned 🤣
Still no progress on the labour side. So while we are remaining vigilant she's still eating like a horse and acting like Lady of the Manor laughing at us 🤣

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry if that was not clear. I meant keep mom and babies separated from the male. Good to hear all is well thus far! 😊

Rachel77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry if that was not clear. I meant keep mom and babies separated from the male. Good to hear all is well thus far! 😊
Is there a point we should be concerned if things aren't progressing with her?
If we hadn't noticed the fluid I wouldn't even suspect she was close. Honestly she doesn't stop eating 🤣
Her tummy is hanging down more than being round if that makes sense. Still feeling movement from kittens.
Just had expected some kind of progression by now 🤣