I'm officially afraid! (Gross girly stuff)

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're afraid right now, the unknown is always scary. Being a cancer survivor I have been thru this not knowing and then having to make decisions. You just can't think of the worse, oh I know that's easy to say but really it is wasted energy. Use that energy for when and if you need it. I'm wishing you all the best.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, if I were in your shoes sweetie I would honestly just consider a full hysterectomy if it comes to that. I have have PCOS too and have every intention of having a full hysterectomy when I get older (if i'm able to have children, I plan to have one after then). It's not worth it to me to be in excruciating pain every single month and have insulin issues from it along with other problems and be at a higher risk for other issues. I know many women who have had full hysterectomies and have been very happy with the results! I would consider it at least.
If you have a chance, try looking through this website: http://www.soulcysters.com/ there is a lot of good advice on it!

I'm keeping you in my prayers that everything will be ok and that you and your doctors make the best decisions for your health

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For you hun, my best friend is in the same situation and is looking at a hysterectomy later this year but she has so many health problems she knows this is the best option. Please don't be scared, there are so many things that it could be its not worth even looking them up, you are young and healthy otherwise so I am sure you will be fine, it is a scary time but you will be ok, you have all of us here, remember that.xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling loads better today. Still down, but nothing like yesterday.

The night before I hadn't slept a single minute. Between the Prednisone that I'm on and probably some subconscious worry about my appointment, my brain just wouldn't shut off. So by the time I got home yesterday I had been awake for 36 hours. Her news caused me to have an uncharacteristic melt down.

I do know better than to worry about things that are not in my control, and this certainly is one of those situations.

I'm not at all worried about a hysterectomy. In fact I welcome it. I've actually been thinking of asking to have one done for a few years already.

It's the word "cancer", regardless of the "pre" in front of it that got to me. Still is actually.

I was supposed to help in the gyne oncology clinic today. I asked my supervisor if she minded if I didn't. She was very ok with it.

I had all of my preop stuff done yesterday, but because of my chest infection and the fact that I'm starting on my high blood pressure pill tomorrow, I have to go back to the doctor middle of March before my surgery to have more blood work done and another chest xray.

And I couldn't help but laugh today. I answered my phone and it was my doctor's office calling wanting me to give even more blood! When I started going to see him last year in February, he gave me a requisition to have blood work done and a cholesterol test. For the cholesterol test you can't eat or drink anything for 14 hours. Because of the timing of my work, I couldn't work an evening shift without eating or drinking and then go home and do another 8 hours of the same, so I put it off.

Seems my doctor is on the ball. He noticed I hadn't done it and he wants me to have it done pronto! He said he is ok if I have it done when I get the next batch of blood work done.

I was going to go across the street to a clinic to have the blood done mid March, first thing in the morning before work. But I found out that the lab across the hall from my office will draw it for me and process it and send it to my doctor! So what a bonus that is! I can have my last food and water at 6 pm and then have my breakfast at 8 am the next day at work. Perfect!

I also talked to the girl who works in the gyne clinic all of the time. I know all of the gyne onc doctors from my last job, but only from a post op perspective. And one of them will be doing my surgery when the time comes. So I wanted to know her opinion about who she thinks is the better surgeon. I already knew who I didn't want, so that left 3 other surgeons for me to pick from in all of the city. So I've made my decision about who I want to do the surgery, unfortunately she is going on mat leave soon and won't be back until October. However, she is the only one that does laparoscopic and/or vaginal hysts out of that group. The others do standard abdominal incisions, and one will vaginal.

The bad news is that because of my weight, a vaginal hyst might be out of the question because there is a weight limit. So we'll see.

My results should be back by the end of May, that leaves 4 months between then and the time she gets back. If it truly is "precancerous" that means there is time for me to wait for her to return.

Anyway! Thanks for all of the kind words. They did help me ground and centre myself. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other... that's the key. I just have to keep in mind that this is out of my control, and nothing I do or say or think about it right now will change the results whatever they may be.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Thanks everyone!

I'm feeling loads better today. Still down, but nothing like yesterday.

The night before I hadn't slept a single minute. Between the Prednisone that I'm on and probably some subconscious worry about my appointment, my brain just wouldn't shut off. So by the time I got home yesterday I had been awake for 36 hours. Her news caused me to have an uncharacteristic melt down.

I do know better than to worry about things that are not in my control, and this certainly is one of those situations.

I'm not at all worried about a hysterectomy. In fact I welcome it. I've actually been thinking of asking to have one done for a few years already.

It's the word "cancer", regardless of the "pre" in front of it that got to me. Still is actually.

I was supposed to help in the gyne oncology clinic today. I asked my supervisor if she minded if I didn't. She was very ok with it.

I had all of my preop stuff done yesterday, but because of my chest infection and the fact that I'm starting on my high blood pressure pill tomorrow, I have to go back to the doctor middle of March before my surgery to have more blood work done and another chest xray.

And I couldn't help but laugh today. I answered my phone and it was my doctor's office calling wanting me to give even more blood! When I started going to see him last year in February, he gave me a requisition to have blood work done and a cholesterol test. For the cholesterol test you can't eat or drink anything for 14 hours. Because of the timing of my work, I couldn't work an evening shift without eating or drinking and then go home and do another 8 hours of the same, so I put it off.

Seems my doctor is on the ball. He noticed I hadn't done it and he wants me to have it done pronto! He said he is ok if I have it done when I get the next batch of blood work done.

I was going to go across the street to a clinic to have the blood done mid March, first thing in the morning before work. But I found out that the lab across the hall from my office will draw it for me and process it and send it to my doctor! So what a bonus that is! I can have my last food and water at 6 pm and then have my breakfast at 8 am the next day at work. Perfect!

I also talked to the girl who works in the gyne clinic all of the time. I know all of the gyne onc doctors from my last job, but only from a post op perspective. And one of them will be doing my surgery when the time comes. So I wanted to know her opinion about who she thinks is the better surgeon. I already knew who I didn't want, so that left 3 other surgeons for me to pick from in all of the city. So I've made my decision about who I want to do the surgery, unfortunately she is going on mat leave soon and won't be back until October. However, she is the only one that does laparoscopic and/or vaginal hysts out of that group. The others do standard abdominal incisions, and one will vaginal.

The bad news is that because of my weight, a vaginal hyst might be out of the question because there is a weight limit. So we'll see.

My results should be back by the end of May, that leaves 4 months between then and the time she gets back. If it truly is "precancerous" that means there is time for me to wait for her to return.

Anyway! Thanks for all of the kind words. They did help me ground and centre myself. One day at a time, one foot in front of the other... that's the key. I just have to keep in mind that this is out of my control, and nothing I do or say or think about it right now will change the results whatever they may be.
One day at a time sweetie
Let's keep our chins up and think about the positives! You have a lot of people who love you and care about you here, and I know we are all sending vibes for positive news!