I'm Not Sure Where To Post This..

mande12345

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A bit of a long story: My grandma died last week and we had her funeral on Saturday.. That evening my cat was shot by my neighbor in front of my house and she died. We went through the police and I don't feel like it's being taken as seriously because she was "just a cat" in their eyes. This man was committed before because he's threatened to kill people. It was very traumatic and I am so overwhelmed with double grief that I can hardly stand it. Has anyone experienced this that could help me with legal advice?

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is very hard to help with legal advice if we don't know where you live.
In the United States animal cruelty was made a Federal offense. It carries a heavier sentence than it did before so they are less likely to prosecute over a cat.
Some states have laws against shooting domestic animals at all but there is a burden of proving he knew the cat was a pet, so again unlikely to prosecute.
You need to seek the counsel of a lawyer if you really want to prosecute but I don't think anything will come of it.
I am sympathetic to your loss.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm extremely sorry for the loss of your grandmother and the atrocious experience of your cat being shot by your neighbor. The Humane Society of the U.S. recommends contacting your local law enforcement agency. Here's a helpful link:
Report Stray or Injured Animals / Animal Cruelty
If you have found a stray or injured animal, please call your local animal care and control agency. To report a case of animal cruelty, please contact your local law enforcement agency. (Search online here.)