I'm not sure what to do.

Tlynn0511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For months now I've been feeding a ton of stray and feral cats around my house. I live in a very rural area and surrounded by woods and fields. I am a huge cat person and I rescued a 6-week old kitten, who we call Shelby Anne almost a year ago from an abandoned house. She just turned one and has been spayed, tested for feline leukemia (which was negative), and is up to date on all her vaccines. The vet said that she is a very healthy cat at our last visit in March. She's an indoor cat too. Recently my husband and I have become close with a stray which we named Baxter. He is the only one that wants to come inside and comes running to us every time we get home. He also gets along with our Shelby girl, although I don't let them get too close or share food bowls or water dishes since he hasn't been tested yet. He also has some mange, which I'm currently trying to treat. I was also able to give him a bath and treat a wound on his ear, as well as treating for ear mites along with the mange. He is sort of a loner because all the other strays have formed a bond with one another, but he doesn't get along with any of them. So that's why I was surprised he got along with Shelby. He is not litter trained because he had no idea what to do. He prefers to go outside to go potty. I told my husband that he must have been a dog in his past life lol. Anyways, I don't think he belongs to anyone because I don't know why any owner would allow their pet to be in this kind of position. But at the same time, I don't want to take someone's pet. If he does have an owner, they are clearly neglecting him. Anyways, I really want to get him to the vet and get him tested, vaccinated and neutered. My husband is on the fence because he's afraid we will spend the money to find out he does have an owner. I guess I can see if he's microchipped beforehand. But because of where we live and the amount of stray cats, I feel like he's been dumped here, as so many cats have. I'm also in fear of him getting attacked because we also have coyotes around here. In the same respect, I also want to keep my Shelby girl safe. Should I just go ahead and take him to the vet and take him in permanently? I would feel so guilty if anything ever happened to him, plus he seems to really like it here and we love spoiling him. I've included a picture of my Shelby girl and two pictures of baxter.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
see if he's microchipped beforehand.
Definitely do this, it will help your husband to be more comfortable with the situation. Ask your vet or a rescue/shelter or a TNR group if you can borrow a chip reader or have someone who can do it for you.

Also, just in case this is helpful;

(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tlynn0511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I don't mind spending the money to get him taken care of because afterward, he would have a forever home with us. I will have him checked for a microchip before proceeding.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most places if you are the person paying for an animal's vet care you are considered the owner of said animal. But yes, first thing is to see if he's chipped, if not consider him yours and get him taken care of.

Tlynn0511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most places if you are the person paying for an animal's vet care you are considered the owner of said animal. But yes, first thing is to see if he's chipped, if not consider him yours and get him taken care of.
I agree! I will be calling the vet in the morning to get him in to see if he's microchipped. If not, I will proceed with getting him taken care of.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he is not microchipped, just keep him. If he is, it does raise questions regarding his condition and ownership. My guess is that there is no microchip and if there is one, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. People do microchip dogs and cats...around here if you adopt from a shelter it is usually done as part of the exit process...but that does not mean that they don't abandon them or otherwise not keep them. He could have been microchipped and not registered, which is the same as not having an owner.

I have rescued two microchipped dogs where the owners instructed the company to tell me that they had "given the dog away' and did not want it back. I hope that you get to keep this boy.

Tlynn0511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is not microchipped, just keep him. If he is, it does raise questions regarding his condition and ownership. My guess is that there is no microchip and if there is one, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. People do microchip dogs and cats...around here if you adopt from a shelter it is usually done as part of the exit process...but that does not mean that they don't abandon them or otherwise not keep them. He could have been microchipped and not registered, which is the same as not having an owner.

I have rescued two microchipped dogs where the owners instructed the company to tell me that they had "given the dog away' and did not want it back. I hope that you get to keep this boy.
I hope so too!!! He's such a good boy and very gentle. I agree that he's probably not microchipped, but I'm going to go what's best for him.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so too!!! He's such a good boy and very gentle. I agree that he's probably not microchipped, but I'm going to go what's best for him.
Honestly? It's obvious whoever had him did not take very good care of him if he's in that rough shape, so even if he is chipped the best thing would be for you to keep him.

Tlynn0511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Honestly? It's obvious whoever had him did not take very good care of him if he's in that rough shape, so even if he is chipped the best thing would be for you to keep him.
I completely agree with you. It breaks my heart how some people can just neglect or abandon their pets. My pets are my children. And just like my children, they never miss a doctor's (vet) appointment, they are always well groomed and spoiled. All my pets get special stuff on holidays, they have their own Christmas stockings and we even celebrate their birthdays. I never let the strays and ferals go hungry because I don't have the heart to ignore the fact that they need help and are starving. If I could, I would rescue and keep every animal I come in contact with.