I'm at my wits end, cat has multiple health problems, I don't know what to feed him!

QuiteDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm at a standstill. I adopted a cat about a year ago (he is now a little over 2 ) and everything was fine until about September and I've had to take him to the vet multiple times since, all for different reasons! First he was vomiting and had diarrhea, I was told he has IBD, so I switched up his food and the problem seemed to have resolved. Things went back to normal.

Then, about two months later, he developed urinary issues. I was told he has crystals and maybe a cyst, I was told his issue was likely related to stress. So, I played with him more and switched his diet to all wet food. Again, problem seemed to have resolved, he started peeing normally, even going more as I stopped giving him dry food.

NOW he has constipation. I thought it might be the food again ( I was giving him Ziwi), so I changed it and added some pumpkin and some greens. It seemed to have worked, he went for 5 days straight, but then he got backed up again and is going every other day. He also seems to have lost interest in this food (but is still interested in eating).

So, I don't know what to do. I feel like he is just too sensitive. I'll also add that the vet I was taking him to is no longer my vet because they were generally pretty unhelpful( they charged me a lot of money and would often either leave me hanging regarding advice with treatments, or shove an expensive treatment down my throat without much discussion or addressing my concerns). I am currently maxed out from vet bills and don't really feel comfortable taking him to another one for this current bout of constipation.

Is there any advice at all on what to feed him? A brand that might be good? I've tried Weruva (which was what he was eating when he got IBD), Ziwi, Feline Natural, Koha, Hound & Gatos, Tiki, I refuse to give him Hill's as I really don't think that the rice and meals in it will help him. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? He has so many sensitivities and he is also very picky (hates everything but chicken pate). He is generally pretty active and happy and alert, aside from the bathroom issues, he appears rather healthy.

Thank you for reading! I know this post is long, I'm just straight up losing it over here!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you have had so many problems with your cat, its very stressful, not to mention costly.
Can you eliminate all dry good from his diet, add water to his wet and increase his fibre intake, psyllium is good for constipation, its a fibre, a pinch mixed into his food 2/3 times a day should help, that and the increase in water intake.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IBD and urinary issues and constipation? Canned food is best. Have you tried Rawz canned?

You can use Miralax (or generic equivalent) for the constipation. Ask the vet first. A cat sized dose is up to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, a dose dissolved in some water first and then mixed into canned food. Start with a small dose, maybe 1/8 teaspoon once a day for a few days and then increase if it doesn't help. It takes Miralax about a day to work so don't expect the cat to immediately poop after being dosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuiteDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry you have had so many problems with your cat, its very stressful, not to mention costly.
Can you eliminate all dry good from his diet, add water to his wet and increase his fibre intake, psyllium is good for constipation, its a fibre, a pinch mixed into his food 2/3 times a day should help, that and the increase in water intake.
I have done that! But I haven't used psyllium, I suppose it is worth trying out. He has been getting some tiny amounts of dry, mainly because I've run out of wet food(that he will eat!) to give him but I am planning on removing it again completely. He did get constipated on just wet food though too, so I'm really not sure if it even makes a difference anymore.

QuiteDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IBD and urinary issues and constipation? Canned food is best. Have you tried Rawz canned?

You can use Miralax (or generic equivalent) for the constipation. Ask the vet first. A cat sized dose is up to 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, a dose dissolved in some water first and then mixed into canned food. Start with a small dose, maybe 1/8 teaspoon once a day for a few days and then increase if it doesn't help. It takes Miralax about a day to work so don't expect the cat to immediately poop after being dosed.
I only give him canned, I haven't tried Rawz but I'll give it a look. I've read some stuff about Miralaz, currently keeping it as my very last option as I'd have to find a vet for it.

QuiteDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can buy Miralax OTC at any pharmacy. I use the CVS generic equivalent for one of my cats.

Two drawbacks of Rawz: it's expensive (a 5.5 oz can be as much as $2.99) and it's only sold through authorized independent pet stores and a few online sites. Minimally Processed Natural Cat Food Archives | RAWZ
Ok, thank you! And so far everything I've been giving him has been expensive, so I'm used to it.